Fed up!

My previous JCW Mini was just like the Renault in that it handled like a go kart but wasn't the easiest of cars to live with day to day (it was on H&R's) and good bored with it after a couple of years and bought a Mk2. TT. That was so smooth in comparison especially with the DSG. It was a nice change but not as much fun so sold that after 2 years and here I am with the Clio which is a better replacement for the Mini.
We all go through phases and there's nothing wrong with change.

That ''stupid half-insane grin on a twisty road'', especially when you easily follow cars 2 or 3 times the clio's price...
Follow and pass them ha!!!!
Haha maybe if I wear a helmet I wont hear the wife moaning when I drive fast either, we could be on to a winner!
earache dose your head in when driving fast!Thats why im single now ha!!!
This has got to be the best/most useful comment in the whole thread cheers litchy, think I might just have to keep her........

New you would keep her:thumbsup:

Litchy is encouraging you to keep yours whilst planning to sell his soon... :smiley:

Nope..I'm just saying enjoyin' owning one while you can cause your personal circumstance might change....and you might have no choice but to sell it. My circumstance is completely different. I cant leave my cars alone, and the projects at the point where we are talking serious money for st3 which could be better spent on new project. I'm not sure why I think 300bhp in a Clio isnt enough?? Equally, in pushing the envelope for more power inevitable you end up potentially ruining what was a decent car in the first place, that then ends up spending more time in the garage than on the road.

Time will tell I guess....but I need some rehab from chasing power on this project. Taxi for Litchy

Last edited:
Shame you're getting fed up. My car isn't great on the motorway with the original gear ratios but it is a joy elsewhere. It also has 56k on the clock and no rattles at all. Seems that you get a good or bad car with little in the middle.

Final point, I didn't buy the cup chassis specifically for the reasons stated in this thread and I find the non-cup ride one of the most compliant of any hot hatch I have driven, and that is most of them.

Last edited:
Final point, I didn't buy the cup chassis specifically for the reasons stated in this thread and I find the non-cup ride one of the most compliant of any hot hatch I have driven, and that is most of them.

This.

I didn't have the choice with the Cup pack, as mine was pre-registered and I bought it based on the price of the vehicle for the specification it had. If I had bought new I would have specified the cup pack but only for the benefit of the day it goes up for sale. Having said that, I have found the non-cup chassis to be a pleasure to drive, and still remains and absolute hoot in the corners. The fact my car doesn't have the cup chassis may essentially be a blessing in disguise for myself.

I sold mine due to the same reason, as a daily driver the small problems started to grind on me ie interior, engine that needs to be revved to death to get power and all the other problems I had like new engine and power steering pump in less than 2 years.

Iv changed now and not regretted it, the only thing that I miss is the vxr isn't as rewarding when driven hard but I can deal with that, for now anyways

When I can afford to run one as a 2nd car I think il defiantly buy one again

Hope you have better luck with your next car and a meg 250 is a good shout but I'm not sure what their reliability is like

Some lightweights on here just lately :tongueout:inky:

What did you buy them for, cos it looked nice? :smiley:

I keep wondering about changing the clio, I got it when it was 18 months old as a damaged car repaired it and been driving tilt since, I put kw v1s, exhaust, re map and that's it.

Only thing that I don't really like it the mpg and tax, keep looking at a astra 888 cdti, similar power but cheaper to run. But I will be going from the clio that has done 27k miles and still under 5 years old to an astra that's done 80k+ miles and older also and prob cost me money to change.

And when I think I have done 20k miles in clio, nothing had ever gone wrong, I have done 2 track days, lent it my brother to do 5 track days and only envy replaced brake pads and tyres on it. Best car I have owned and I have had some cars that should be nicer.

So each time I think of changing I just end up thinking I may as well just pay the extra on fuel and tax cos if I had something older with more miles would just be spending mo on maintenance.

As for the rattles, I have never had car without rattles, and they soon go away with putting the stereo up a notch. Simple. . . . Lol

I still love my clio 3 years on and its quick enough to have fun on the road but not get in to much trouble. The car I had before as everyday car was a vauxhall vx220 with 300hp so could be breaking speed limits in under 4 sec which is just to fast for British roads, clio is perfect.

I've had mine just over 3 years now and have the bug to move on. Actually, I've had 'that' itch for about a year now but just haven't managed to find anything that will give the 197's thrills at a similar price, I really don't think there is ANY car out there that is a better all round car than the 197.

But, as the itch gets stronger and commuting/motorways now account for 99% of my miles I feel tempted to move on to something better suited to that. But, I still want fun when I feel like it and I still want to be able to take a roundabout etc. at speed if I want to! So, at the moment I'm fairly certain I'll move on to an e46 m3, just have to find the right one

I've had mine just over 3 years now and have the bug to move on. Actually, I've had 'that' itch for about a year now but just haven't managed to find anything that will give the 197's thrills at a similar price, I really don't think there is ANY car out there that is a better all round car than the 197.

But, as the itch gets stronger and commuting/motorways now account for 99% of my miles I feel tempted to move on to something better suited to that. But, I still want fun when I feel like it and I still want to be able to take a roundabout etc. at speed if I want to! So, at the moment I'm fairly certain I'll move on to an e46 m3, just have to find the right one

E46 M3 is a great shout but unfortunately, there aren't many good ones left.

if your considering a E46 M3, could be worth checkin out 350z's if you can live with 2 seats.... not a whole bunch worse on fuel than the 197