Fed up!

E46 M3 is a great shout, but as you've mentioned running costs is a factor then it's a no go, but it ticks all the other boxes.

I run an E46 330i and recently purchased a new 200, so obviously find this post somewhat demoralising (nothing against this post, to make that point clear), but I am still in the honeymoon period of just wanting to drive the Clio everywhere, and not giving the BMW a look. Yeah, the BMW is faster, more refined, even better on fuel and still puts a massive smile on my face. But, and this is a big but, it doesn't put a big of a smile on my face as the 200 achieves.

Cheapish diesel hack if you do miles and then a.n.other for some fun. Trying to get both from one car invariably costs more in the long run as you chop and change never finding the right compromise.

Trying to get both from one car invariably costs more in the long run as you chop and change never finding the right compromise.

+1. Exactly that. Let's face it, you can not have everything you wish from one car. It's simply impossible! Unless you can afford two cars, you decide what you need most (given that personal circumstances constantly change) and you choose your car accordingly.

Clios so far are super duper mega extra fun and they also combine practicality. That's it! They are not expected/designed to be fun on motorways, the ride is the antonym of smooth, the engine is not brilliant for everyday life, the quality of the plastics is sh!t etc etc! That's fine by me, actually more than fine.

I do understand why people decide to move on, as I said, personal preferences alter all the time. But let's not slag this car off, it's absolutely brilliant for what it was designed to do, much better than everything else out there in its class. Fact.

Last edited:
i totally agree with everything you say and urge you sell up.
having owned my 197 cup since July last year, im sick to death.
All i get are constant bills everytime i go anywhere near the damn thing, it really isnt worth it.

This thread is putting me off buying one:glare: the amount of "selling up" threads on this site is setting the old alarm bells ringing!
Am I doing the right thing buying one or will I regret it 6 months down the line?

This thread is putting me off buying one:glare: the amount of "selling up" threads on this site is setting the old alarm bells ringing!
Am I doing the right thing buying one or will I regret it 6 months down the line?

If you are looking for a driver's car then go for it, you won't be disappointed, if not, don't bother.

Fantastic cars but personally I wouldn't have one as a daily.

Depends on so many different factors and what you want and expect from a car.

I've got one as a daily and i think its great :smile:

Yes does rattle... every car owned rattles

and yes ride can be abit stiff but it's a hot hatch, most are that handle well

There seems to be too many being concerned with how many people seem to be selling up......

One thing I have noticed over the last 12 months is an increase in the number of folks coming back into the fold, especially guys who had a specific reason fo getting shut in the first place for mortgages and family reasons etc., then once they have settled their lives down remember what great cars these actually are and with the prices now falling into a lower bracket, they are being bought for the sheer fun of what they are.....

Personally I still have one on my shopping list once me an Stuie have done the initial full build of our 182 tracktoy, I can certainly see me on the hunt for another 197, unless I decide to go silly power on the meg, then I may have to wait a little while longer

+1. Exactly that. Let's face it, you can not have everything you wish from one car. It's simply impossible! Unless you can afford two cars, you decide what you need most (given that personal circumstances constantly change) and you choose your car accordingly.

Clios so far are super duper mega extra fun and they also combine practicality. That's it! They are not expected/designed to be fun on motorways, the ride is the antonym of smooth, the engine is not brilliant for everyday life, the quality of the plastics is sh!t etc etc! That's fine by me, actually more than fine.

I do understand why people decide to move on, as I said, personal preferences alter all the time. But let's not slag this car off, it's absolutely brilliant for what it was designed to do, much better than everything else out there in its class. Fact.

HE SPEAKETH THE SENSE!!! :thumbsup:

If you are looking for a driver's car then go for it, you won't be disappointed, if not, don't bother.

MORE SENSE!!! :thumbsup:

I've got one as a daily and i think its great :smile:

Yes does rattle... every car owned rattles

and yes ride can be abit stiff but it's a hot hatch, most are that handle well

MORE SENSE!!! :thumbsup:

In all seriousness, the 197/200 is not and never will be a car for everybody. If you want a nice comfortable car that you can get a bit of a rush from every now and then, then I'd suggest something like a Focus ST. Or if you do a lot of miles, then one of the BMW or VAG diesel offerings. But and this is a big but, none of those will grab you by the balls like the 197/200 can. None of those will give you that stupid half-insane grin on a twisty road like the 197/200 can. It's horses for courses, mine only gets used on B-roads and racetracks, the only time she sees a motorway is if we're heading to a racetrack!!! :smiley:

But and this is a big but, none of those will grab you by the balls like the 197/200 can. None of those will give you that stupid half-insane grin on a twisty road like the 197/200 can.

That ''stupid half-insane grin on a twisty road'', especially when you easily follow cars 2 or 3 times the clio's price...

For everyday use any cup ones are hard to live with (fair play to the othe half for using it everyday) BUT I done 250miles today in my van and the first thing I done when I got is was grab the key card and go for a play!!! Iv had her since June last year and still she never fails to make me smile.

I'll keep the dini if you grab me by the balls Willis??? Hahahahaha on a serious note though do I keep it and avoid being disappointed by a car that doesn't rattle?

Hahaha if that's what it takes I'm all yours flower!!! :smiley:

Keep it mate, honestly, you'll kick ourself for selling it. Unless you're willing to take a big hit on what you paid, plus a big hit on tax, fuel and insurance, you won't get anything near as satisfying for the same monthly outlay. I toyed with letting Nicole go last year for an E46 M3 and a Swift Sport. Gave my head a shake and took Nicole to Wales for a day instead with a few of the lads and that sorted me right out. It would take a big jump in "class" to better what you have.

Get a louder exhaust so you can't hear the rattles, or just start wearing a helmet hahaha!!!

I'll keep the dini if you grab me by the balls Willis??? Hahahahaha on a serious note though do I keep it and avoid being disappointed by a car that doesn't rattle?

Hahaha if that's what it takes I'm all yours flower!!! :smiley:

Keep it mate, honestly, you'll kick ourself for selling it. Unless you're willing to take a big hit on what you paid, plus a big hit on tax, fuel and insurance, you won't get anything near as satisfying for the same monthly outlay. I toyed with letting Nicole go last year for an E46 M3 and a Swift Sport. Gave my head a shake and took Nicole to Wales for a day instead with a few of the lads and that sorted me right out. It would take a big jump in "class" to better what you have.

Get a louder exhaust so you can't hear the rattles, or just start wearing a helmet hahaha!!!

Haha maybe if I wear a helmet I wont hear the wife moaning when I drive fast either, we could be on to a winner!

In fairness the Clio does and delivers what it says on the tin. Best car I've ever driven for fun 'bar none'. As already mentioned its down to personal choice as the world doesn't all drive round in Clio 197/200 because they are fun or cheap'ish. Equally your canvasing the views of people on a Clio 197/200 forum. Ask the question on CS or Passionford..??? We all see the world through forum coloured spectacles.

Economically, more families now own one car, which has to attempt to keep everyone happy in the family, not just dad. So if your circumstance affords you the luxury of owning one of these cars, enjoy it while you can....what is a superb motor cause eventually you may find it an indulgence that's hard to justify against mortgages, children, wife's, commuting, shopping, long motorway journeys, school runs.....you may find you have to do what most of the rest of the world does which is hope your numbers come up (so you can play car top trumps for real) or compromises with owning something more German.

What do the say, better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all? Alternatively 200T....cause I'm guessing that's why Renaultsport decided to change the Clio's DNA. More suited to the needs of a modern family, even if it pisses off a few Renaultsport petrolheads.....

Last edited:
In fairness the Clio does and delivers what it says on the tin. Best car I've ever driven for fun 'bar none'. As already mentioned its down to personal choice as the world doesn't all drive round in Clio 197/200 because they are fun or cheap'ish. Equally your canvasing the views of people on a Clio 197/200 forum. Ask the question on CS or Passionford..??? We all see the world through forum coloured spectacles.

Economically, more families now own one car, which has to attempt to keep everyone happy in the family, not just dad. So if your circumstance affords you the luxury of owning one of these cars, enjoy it while you can....what is a superb motor cause eventually you may find it an indulgence that's hard to justify against mortgages, children, wife's, commuting, shopping, long motorway journeys, school runs.....you may find you have to do what most of the rest of the world does which is hope your numbers come up (so you can play car top trumps for real) or compromises with owning something more German.

What do the say, better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all? Alternatively 200T....cause I'm guessing that's why Renaultsport decided to change the Clio's DNA. More suited to the needs of a modern family, even if it pisses off a few Renaultsport petrolheads.....

This has got to be the best/most useful comment in the whole thread cheers litchy, think I might just have to keep her........