face palm!

I recently got new tyres (195/45/R17) as that was on the car when I got it.. I've just read the Renaultsport.co.uk website for the F1 spec and it says the tyres that came with the car are 215/45/R17... If I get these tyres will the grip levels in the dry/wet increase?? also I found this link which explains pretty well how the size of tyres affect speed and so on (it even has user selections!!)

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

I stuck in standard being 215 and my current tyres being 195 and I got this

When your speedo reads 30mph you will actually be doing 29.1mph!! intresting!

anyway - will 215's give me better grip than 195s? is anyone else running 195s or 215s? cheers!!

I think Jase was running 195's, they should be fine for now, but change to 215's when these are done. The only potential issue is that theoretically you have modified the car, which may cause an issue with your insurers. Might be worth a call to cover yourself.

Eh? 195 are too narrow for a 7.5 j wheel jases wheels were 7j Volvo wheels. U put un necessary strain on the Tyres sidewall not gud. I'm actually suprised they managed to get the air in the tyre as normally the bead doesn't locate and it's a ball ache

I wud advise changing them assp

You can fit a 165 tyre on an 8J rim (various people have done it on EsCos wheels on Fiesta's), so these should be fine. I was running 195's on a 7J rim with no stretch whatsoever, and I have seen 195's on an 8J rim, with a slight stretch, so a 7.5J rim shouldn't be an issue.

A 165 tyre on 8j? 8j 16's rims surely need a 225 - 245 width I've seen it done on polo's and the Tyres last 5k miles tops as they are using some of the side wall as tread. Yes it looks gud but is impractical. There is no rules on what Tyres to fit but I'd stick with what renault say mate

Ye, you see some seriously stretched tyres on a lot of modded Vw's. They tend to do it so the tyre tread can stay within the arch. If the tyre tread sticks out wider than the arch, then it will fail an MOT and is illegal. So basically, you can get away with a wider wheel and spacer combo.

But for the standard set up I would stick to the 215's. Just change them to this size when you need some new ones.

Eh? 195 are too narrow for a 7.5 j wheel jases wheels were 7j Volvo wheels. U put un necessary strain on the Tyres sidewall not gud. I'm actually suprised they managed to get the air in the tyre as normally the bead doesn't locate and it's a ball ache

I wud advise changing them assp

Being a bit dramatic there mate lol :tongueout: 195/45/17 will range from a 6.5 to an 8j.... So i wouldn't worry about the world ending..

If your after more grip Adam, i'd go with a 225. I got Jaxx a set the other week, now on his 200 :smile:

think you will find going down in width technically a NO-NO as the car is homologated with 215 tyres - so going to 195 is an mot fail and therefore car is not legal

you can go up in rating etc but not down !

Not an MoT fail, the MoT is merely a test of roadworthiness, not of conformity. A car can pass an MoT with (cannot fail an MoT for) no speedo, or with wheels / tyres protruding from the bodywork.

Road going cars have to have a European certificate of conformity in the EU or an SVA (Single Vehicle Approval) for imported vehicles that are not UKDM and have been imported.

As for not being legal.... no lol.

e.g. I buy a new 200.... I put a set of TUV (etc.) approved wheels on it, and a set of tyres that Michelin say will fit that wheel size and are eec (etc.) approved, then there are no problems what so ever.

At the end of the day that was a bit of a daft comment lol.

if the tyres are not of the correct load rating/speed rating and you have an accident and the insurance get involved........:thumbdown:

i shall re-word it - whilst not an mot fail - it will come under c&u regs and therefore can be a fail !

as for the mot part of it is conformity to c&u regs......just look at lights for 1 example

put it this you skid cause an accident and it get investigated and you have the wrong ie to small/rating etc tyres on do you honestly think you will escape prosecution...

Last edited:
like i said i would advise changing them. y would you get smaller tyres anyway?

Being a bit dramatic there mate lol :tongueout: 195/45/17 will range from a 6.5 to an 8j.... So i wouldn't worry about the world ending..

If your after more grip Adam, i'd go with a 225. I got Jaxx a set the other week, now on his 200 :smile:

Yup.

Conti 3 225's are loverlly on mine, no visual difference either from the 215s with a small increase in obvious footprint, theyre also a few quid cheaper than the 215's oddly lol

I wouldnt use a 195, ok you might get the silly "stretch" look in moderation but your surpassing valuable grip :tongueout:

I can’t see it doing any harm as people fit way more stretched tyres than that.

Have a look at this lol

realfitmentbi5.jpg

I don’t get it my self, but should be fine until you can get them changed.

see ure post there ^^^^^^^^^ blow out waiting to happen if that arch takes a chunk from the sidewall.

I can’t see it doing any harm as people fit way more stretched tyres than that.

Have a look at this lol

realfitmentbi5.jpg

I don’t get it my self, but should be fine until you can get them changed.

what is the point of that ??????????????????