Engine noise issue

Hello all,

Firstly this forum has been great so far and I have made good use of the How To section including replacing my own manifold a few weeks ago. That was fun! However even though I am an ex agricultural tech this noise is stumping me!

Anyway I am having some issue with a mystery noise on the engine in my 61k R27 F1, I have done quite a bit of searching as well as trial and error to try and diagnose the issue. From what I have read the F4R engine is generally quite noisy with its loud injectors and the engine not being the smoothest at idle, all in all it just sounds a bit raspy and very mechanical.

Now the car drives great and apart from the ball joints which I will be replacing shortly there are zero running issues. Now the noise I am getting can only be described as an intermittent "wuh wuh... wuh wuh wuh...... wuh wuh". This is audible with the bonnet open or closed but is not excessive, it seems to be coming either from the timing belt cover area or maybe just inside the cylinder head. It seems very hard to pin point, originally I thought it may have been the water pump as using a screwdriver the noise can be heard through the water pump black plastic cover but after a new pump the noise persists! The noise is not that of a bearing running dry as the pitch is quite low and it is not a vibration, it seems to be related to the rotation of the engine but disappears if the revs are increased.

I have replaced the following in order to try and get rid of the noise only using genuine parts:

Timing Belt kit (changed twice due to the Renault dealer not doing the water pump at the same time, went back a month later and had it done again)
New Dephaser Pulley
New Water Pump
New Aux Belt
New Aux Belt tensioner

(Also changed Exhaust Manifold / PCV Valve / Front Brakes / Front droplinks / Front suspension dog bone links / Upper engine mount. Soon will be changing seizing rear brake calipers, rear discs - pads / ball joints and more!)

Now I do not honestly think the noise was there before the initial timing belt change but given that it has been changed twice and the noise still remains I do not think its a timing belt install issue. I have tried listening to all the places I can including ac comp, alternator, crank pulley, various areas on the head and mounts etc but I really am at a loss and its just one of those things that's driving me crazy. I really like my Clio but its cost me a fair bit in less than 9 months of ownership and now I have a slight whine coming from the alternator so that will be on its way out soon!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Could you do a video of the noise and upload it? Also, what is the gap between the wuh sounds? Is it like "wuh", 2, 3, 4, "wuh", 2, 3, 4? If so, I remember reading somewhere what that is (a valve or diaphragm somewhere). I'll try and remember what exactly it is.

I will get a video up tonight, the noise may be fairly rythmic yes although its more "wuh..wuh......wuh.wuh.wuh...wuh..wuh". Haha I feel stupid typing that! If you could remember what valve that is I am prepared to try anything at this point!

Hmm, interesting, anyone else have any more info on this? I thought the only thing controlling the VVT was the dephaser pulley?

have you tried running it with the aux belt off?

that way it totally eliminates the alternator and the air con pump!

Not yet, the really annoying thing is I changed the belt last night and listened for the alternator whine but not the wuh wuh wuh sound! Probably best if I pull it off again this weekend, luckily its an easy job