Engine Mounts

Tarticmonkey

Paid Member
Have a feeling this have been covered before but what engine mounts are people running?

I am currently using Powerflex black series engine mount inserts and being blunt they were a mistake.

The level of vibration going through the floor of the car.

Obviously I can appreciate that adding stiffness to an engine mount is going to increase vibrations and expected an increase but not this much (the rear view mirror shakes on idle) . For comparison my friend had vibratechnics competition mounts in his fiesta and that was the level I was expecting.

We have got solid bushes on the rear axle, solid bushes in the wishbones but yellow PowerFlex mounts for the engine and gearbox. With a full interior (with the exception of the rear seats which have been removed) a lot of the noise gets soaked up.

I want to go down the PMS solid mounts route but @EthanMenace was keen not to do it before we covered 1,200 miles ot the Ring and back. I would also rip out the interior but @EthanMenace is not so sure about that.

My thoughts are that if it is a track car then it can be stiff, noisy and vibrate, as that is all part of the charm of a track car.

We have got solid bushes on the rear axle, solid bushes in the wishbones but yellow PowerFlex mounts for the engine and gearbox. With a full interior (with the exception of the rear seats which have been removed) a lot of the noise gets soaked up.

I want to go down the PMS solid mounts route but @EthanMenace was keen not to do it before we covered 1,200 miles ot the Ring and back. I would also rip out the interior but @EthanMenace is not so sure about that.

My thoughts are that if it is a track car then it can be stiff, noisy and vibrate, as that is all part of the charm of a track car.
If you went out with the interior and pms mounts I can guarantee that you wouldn’t have drove there and back from the ring

Agreed with your points regarding stiffness and charm to a certain extent @burrellbloke. But as beany says I don't think I could drive the car to the ring in its current form (which should happen fingers crossed). As currently I don't think you could have a conversation in the car at 70mph let alone 80mph which most of the continent is.

I do have a pair of concert ear plugs on the key ring of the clio that I use for driving on the road and too and from track days.

From reading the above one of three things needs to happen:

- I need to stop being a softie and deal with it
- put some carpet back in the front (need to research light weight carpeting)
- remove engine mount inserts