Engine Mounts

So looking to upgrade the mounts on the track car but in two minds whether to just go powerflex black series or fork out for the Vibra Technics kit.

looking for some advise on which would be best or value for money.

Kind of… I’ve had both Powerflex Yellow/Purple and later the Pure Motorsport (PMS) kit.

I only really replaced the Powerflex setup because I was chasing a problem that I thought might have been related to a dodgy gearbox/engine mount.

Turns out that wasn’t the issue at all and it was gearbox internals, so one could say it was money wasted.

That said, the PMS setup is SOLID (in capital letters). Depends what you’re after and what you are willing to put up with. I’m happy with it now because it means it’s one less thing to worry about and the lack of movement means my exhaust flexis are also probably nothing to worry about.

2d17f807fc896d41e0951a89403e7be1.jpg

Have a read of my R20 BTG progress blog for more info:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its currently stripped out and rattle its nuts off anyway so vibration im not worried about as its going full track spec anyway, guessing PMS do a full engine mount kit then like vibra technics, if you run these mounts do you need the upper top engine dog bone mount ?

The PMS kit comprises 3 x mounts:

- Billet aluminium hard anodised upper engine mount
- Billet aluminium hard anodised upper gearbox mount
- TIG welded steel dogbone mount

All three come with uprated polyurethane bushes and mounting hardware. They are also serviceable.

Once fitted, the upper engine torque mount is not needed and can be removed.

Reactions: MikeColl93
Anyone else have these on a street car? I appreciate that @R20BTG was saying they are way stiffer than the Powerflex inserts (expected) but with a fully stripped interior the NVH is probably multiplied. I still dont know what it would be like for a call with its full interior still there.

Anyone else have these on a street car? I appreciate that @R20BTG was saying they are way stiffer than the Powerflex inserts (expected) but with a fully stripped interior the NVH is probably multiplied. I still dont know what it would be like for a call with its full interior still there.

I can’t imagine it would be much more pleasant with the interior in. You’d probably get a few extra rattles from the plastic interior itself.

If it’s just for weekend blasts it might not be awful but I wouldn’t want to imagine commuting to work in the early hours of the morning with solid mounts.

Clio doesn't have loads of sound deadening as it is, so plastics etc will hardly make much difference, the vibrations will be increased so it's unfortunately one of the cons, if you're happy to live with them then go ahead as the pros of having less movement will outweigh the cons.

It might actually be worse with interior as the frequency of vibrations may be moved, that means natural frequencies of the plastics etc could then be excited and then be horrendous and annoying, that's the problem with frequency it's about moving it about to make it work with you (what OEMs have spent ages manipulating to get compliance).

Why when I got the car it had powerflex upper torque and lower dog mount, but in summer with AC on idling the whole wheel would shake so much it was horrendous and I went back to OEM mounts, as it's my daily not a track car.

I have a full interior and a full set purple PowerFlex mounts. After taking out the air resonator from the air filter system I notice a lot more rattles and general vibrations. I can’t imagine driving any distance with solid mounts and a full interior. If it is a track car, or it is heading that way, and you are not worried about a comfortable ride then go for it.

The PMS kit comprises 3 x mounts:

- Billet aluminium hard anodised upper engine mount
- Billet aluminium hard anodised upper gearbox mount
- TIG welded steel dogbone mount

All three come with uprated polyurethane bushes and mounting hardware. They are also serviceable.

Once fitted, the upper engine torque mount is not needed and can be removed.

Does this kit do away with the upper left hand torque mount in the engine bay?

Clio doesn't have loads of sound deadening as it is, so plastics etc will hardly make much difference, the vibrations will be increased so it's unfortunately one of the cons, if you're happy to live with them then go ahead as the pros of having less movement will outweigh the cons.

It might actually be worse with interior as the frequency of vibrations may be moved, that means natural frequencies of the plastics etc could then be excited and then be horrendous and annoying, that's the problem with frequency it's about moving it about to make it work with you (what OEMs have spent ages manipulating to get compliance).

Why when I got the car it had powerflex upper torque and lower dog mount, but in summer with AC on idling the whole wheel would shake so much it was horrendous and I went back to OEM mounts, as it's my daily not a track car.

I have those mounts in and had the same issue with vibrations in the cabin when the car was idling with the AC on. Just curious how this kit (or the VibraTechnic) will impact NVH. I need to replace the OEM mounts as they are going on 3 years old and many track days, and I can feel the engine rocking and having shifting accuracy issues on track, just need to figure out what will be the compromise.

Kind of… I’ve had both Powerflex Yellow/Purple and later the Pure Motorsport (PMS) kit.

I only really replaced the Powerflex setup because I was chasing a problem that I thought might have been related to a dodgy gearbox/engine mount.

Turns out that wasn’t the issue at all and it was gearbox internals, so one could say it was money wasted.

That said, the PMS setup is SOLID (in capital letters). Depends what you’re after and what you are willing to put up with. I’m happy with it now because it means it’s one less thing to worry about and the lack of movement means my exhaust flexis are also probably nothing to worry about.

2d17f807fc896d41e0951a89403e7be1.jpg

Have a read of my R20 BTG progress blog for more info:

Did you guys have any issues with getting the gearbox mount on the car? My garage is saying the central hole of the upper gearbox mount is too small to fit the mounting location. I will call PMS Monday, but wanted to check here first.