Engine management light flashing??

Hi Guys,

I've just got back from work and on my way home the engine management light was flashing. I only saw it late on as there was no loud bleep and when I checked trip computer there was no message.

Nearer home I eased off and it went away. lol. hmm :s I was doing short shifting anyway as I drive in an urban area and through town to work.

I've never had this happen to my before. The only thing I can think of it being is the emission sensor near manifold getting blocked for a few seconds (can't remember correct name for sensor)??

My 197 is 06 with 36.3k on the clock. It's not a major problem now it's gone away.... Touch Wood!! Has anyone else had this warning happen to their 197??

Cheers,

Chris

I think the engine management light flashes when you're being too heavy on the noise pedal before it's warm and it's just to say keep the revs down until it's warm.

I'm sure I read that in the manual.

I think the engine management light flashes when you're being too heavy on the noise pedal before it's warm and it's just to say keep the revs down until it's warm.

I'm sure I read that in the manual.

Hi Mate,

Yeah it does say ease off the throttle and lower the revs in the handbook. Although I was short shifting I did have to pull in a few times and and let a few oncoming cars passed so when pulling away I probs was a bit racey on the starts. :tongueout:

I was getting that quite often, I took the car to 2 dealers, one blamed the plugs and the other the fuel injector. What did I do? I started using super unleaded and I never saw the light again.

had it a couple of times - logged an ecu fault - "multi-cylinder mis-fire"...

mainly done it when its been started and switched off when cold and i think it just soots the plugs up slightly and causes the lambda sensors to go crazy and flash a warning

I was getting that quite often, I took the car to 2 dealers, one blamed the plugs and the other the fuel injector. What did I do? I started using super unleaded and I never saw the light again.

Just shows that you can save a bit of money and go with what you think is best i.e use super unleaded in your case and solve the problem without paying dealers prices just for them to tell you too different stories and take lots of your money to cover high labour charge.

Glad your car is running better now matey :smiley:

had it a couple of times - logged an ecu fault - "multi-cylinder mis-fire"...

mainly done it when its been started and switched off when cold and i think it just soots the plugs up slightly and causes the lambda sensors to go crazy and flash a warning

That's the one I knew was the sensor near the exhaust manifold tht reduces emissions I just couldn't think of the name of it. I had a feeling maybe the lambda sensor may have been clogged up for a few secs, but again never had it before with the same fuel and driving style.

Touch wood it's not been on since and I may invest in a diagnostic kit sometime early next year mate. Cheers for the advice foxspeed. :smile:

Had it a few times when it was new but not had it for years now.they never found out what it was when I took it back

That's the one I knew was the sensor near the exhaust manifold tht reduces emissions I just couldn't think of the name of it. I had a feeling maybe the lambda sensor may have been clogged up for a few secs, but again never had it before with the same fuel and driving style.

Touch wood it's not been on since and I may invest in a diagnostic kit sometime early next year mate. Cheers for the advice foxspeed. :smile:

Where are you going to get the Diagnostic kit from?

Had this problem with mine. Diagnostic showed cylinder misfire on no.1. Changed no.1 coil and has been fine since

after posting this yesterday, today eml light began flashing while out in the car today. Will plug it in tomorrow and let you know what what the outcome is :-(

dont forget that these engines are running to eu emission regs and that part of obd2 system is to report "emission failures" by flashing the light and logging an ecu fault....its not always a big issue :thumbup1:

mine was no.1 cylinder misfire, have just cleared codes and wait to see if it happens again as running fine

Just reviving this old thread - happened to me this morning. Sitting in traffic on the way to work, certainly not being heavy on the pedal, quite the opposite in fact. Light came on, flashing, and lasted about 20 seconds before going off again.

Hopefully just a one-off but I'll keep an eye on it :smile:

Mine came on once, warm day in traffic.. normal driving. That was at least 12 months ago and never seen it since, hopefully it's the same case for you!

Mine made an appearance about a month ago, has to be sensor related as its never reared its head again. Its Renault way of says.. Hey, enjoy this car but look after me. :smiley:

Not to revive an old thread but I had this on Friday after filling the tank. I always like to brim the tank and managed almost 52 litres in there (when I pulled in the red light had just come on) and I had just finished an hour motorway trip with some stop-start traffic at the end. I turned the engine off and back on and it had disappeared. Weird French anomalies :grinning:

Reactions: Foxspeed