Eagle F1s lasted <2.5k miles

sandbagsniper

Paid Member
My wife got tyres replace on the front of the Clio on 10th November. I am yet to confirm the exact mileage but less than <2500 miles later and they need replaced. She is not an aggressive driver and often has clients in her car so is quite light footed. The roads are mainly damp and the clio doesn't have a lot of tyre shredding torque. I can't figure out how this has happened. I run these on my diesel which is real torque steery and they have done 9k and are fine. What should I do?

I ordered them through blackcircles and had them fitted a at local garage. The garage has taken photos of the wear and is going to contact black circles on our behalf. They think that is it strange too.
I am wondering if it is a dodgy batch. They are Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric.

Are they evenly worn accross the tread?
The garage should be able to contact black Circles who will ask their supplier to collect them from garage and arrange for an inspection - usually manufacturer will leave it to supplier to decide if there was a manufacturing defect and will then either replace or reimberse customer

Definitely something wrong with the car or tyres. Even hard driving you'd struggle to finish a set in <2.5k

Even wear on OSF and on the limit. Practically bald on the outer NSF from roundabouts. Just checked and it is closer to 2000 miles since change. I will get in touch with blackcircles and also Goodyear UK. Problem is, the wife doesn't want to drive it like that, but we are reluctant to buy new tyres so soon.

Have the alignment checked - even just as proof it's not the reason for the premature wear, it's the first thing blackcircles will challenge I'm sure when they are returned.

The other possibility of course is that the tyres are fakes, just because they were bought from a well known retailer means nothing - they might not have known themselves.

Goodyear UK will be able to determine the problem, but you'll have to go through blackcircles first.

Around 5 years ago I had the same issue with a set of GoodYear Eagle F1s but it was the dsg3 tread pattern. I did 3,000 miles and they were total slicks. Nice even wear across the whole tyre but only the faintest bit of tread left. I had them on a Fiesta Zetec S. Never did get to the bottom of it.

Even wear on OSF and on the limit. Practically bald on the outer NSF from roundabouts. Just checked and it is closer to 2000 miles since change. I will get in touch with blackcircles and also Goodyear UK. Problem is, the wife doesn't want to drive it like that, but we are reluctant to buy new tyres so soon.

unfortunately due to english/uk road regulations and the law you/she has no choice...not only that what about other road users - be fine trying to explain to someone you have just crashed in to or run-over due to bald tyres.....

not only that its £2000 fine and 3 points

even if they think they are faulty you will still have to pay for replacements until they are checked by goodyear and IF faulty then you will/may get some money back

having the track checked and documented will help the case

Last edited:
unfortunately due to english/uk road regulations and the law you/she has no choice...not only that what about other road users - be fine trying to explain to someone you have just crashed in to or run-over due to bald tyres.....

The car is staying off road until there are new tyres on it. Blackcircles called me last night and are passing my case to customer services. I will keep you guys updated.

Its generally a vehicle defect rectification form which gives you the chance to get them changed and checked at MOT garage.

Has the car ever been involved in a collision anything from a cat D write off to a heavy collision with kerb can knock things badly out of alignment resulting in tyres wearing at an amazing rate.
It sounds like a full 4 wheel alignment will be a good next move.