Does this sound terminal??

Can anyone confirm if this sounds like coil packs or dirty fuel?

I was waiting at the lights last night and the car stalled completely. I restarted it and the car was definantly running on 3 cylinders. I drove off to pull over to a car park when the engine management light started flashing.. after about 3 seconds it stopped and the car was working great again!

I brimmed the tank from another petrol station and took her for a few "speed" runs to try and get as much crap through the injectors etc

However this morning at the lights the same thing happened.. I had to rev the car slightly to stop it stalling and this time the engine mgmt light did not come on.. again I got round the corner literately 50 meters and the car was fine again..

from reading it sounds like the pencil coil packs may have gone? If so are these a DIY job to fit and where can I get some ?

Last edited:
My old megane 1.6 did the exact same! That was an easy fix because the coil packs where right on top of the engine, pretty sure you'd have to take off the inlet manifold but that shouldn't be too much of a pain it's just a few bolts, maybe need a new manifold gasket?

I got the replacement from a scrappy and that worked fine.

Thanks Klinck can anyone confirm the above before I start pulling my engine apart? I thought you could see the coil packs on top of the engine at the back?

You only need to remove the manifold on the 182s to gain access to the plugs. Easy job on the 197, just don't thread the retaining bolts as thats very easy!

May be worth removing it anyway to check all injectors are firing. I've had to replace two on the 182 for similar problems now. An ignition misfire is often accompanied by a backfire or popping, if the ignition fails completely the ecu will switch the injector off on that cylinder to protect the cat.

Your best bets a diagnostics scan as a flashing management light may have logged a fault, be it active or dormant. The worst you will get is 'misfire cylinder 3' etc.

Last edited:
Yes. Although some older type cheap ones don't connect. Even then they only give basic codes. A proper Renault clip or snap on diagnostics tool most garages should have will be more specific.

ok thanks Ben.. I take it anyone with a hand held obd II scanner should be able to read the codes?

if yours is a handsfree locking system there is a certain way to get the ignition to switch on so the obd2 system can read the data

[youtube]GQh44Y66sF0[/youtube]

Does this sound terminal?

cheers foxspeed.. yeah I've read about the obd2 stuff thanks :smile:

yep just as I was reversing in the engine tried to stall again and all of a sudden I could hear this lovely knocking sound.. don't really want to go start it again but I guess if there is damage done its done already..

yep just as I was reversing in the engine tried to stall again and all of a sudden I could hear this lovely knocking sound.. don't really want to go start it again but I guess if there is damage done its done already..

i feel your pain!!

Would be cheeper to fit a good second hand engine if thats the case imo,if not bottom end rebuild poss rod and crank or a crank polish new big end bearings etc. hoping its some thing simple though. I know peugeot's get a similar noise if a plugs come loose.

I'll see if I can find anything loose.. I've got the 350z but cant drive it until may.. 2 fun cars and no way to drive them. gutted.

Sounds exactly the same as when my con rod bearings failed... :worried:
I sincerely hope it's not that...

Last edited:
Well folks I had to move the car today and the noise has gone.. engine is back to normal and when warmed up the power is there.. Left it at a garage and they are saying that coil pack in first cylinder is buggered.. will update if this fixes it..

Yes mate I filled it up on Saturday as she was 3 quarters of the way up to maximum so just topped her up to maximum (half a litre or less it was)

I hope it's something simple that's easy and cheap enough to fix. Doesn't sound good whatever it is though!