Do I Really Need My Cam Belt Doing Soon?

My 197 will be 5 years old at the end of May and ordinarily I wouldn't hesitate in getting the cambelt etc done at that age.

However, my 197 is only just on 13k and isn't a daily driver - infact it's only done 500 miles in the last 2 years (it's a rarely used toy) so does the cambelt really need doing yet?

I know the dealers will all say they should always be done at 5 years but is it scare mongering to earn a few quid?

Cheers guys - looks like I'll need to dip into the old wallet then.

What's the going rate for a service including cambelt (and water pump?)

Cheers Foxspeed - just looked at the other thread (and others linked from it).

I'm in two minds what to do really.

The car won't do more than a thousand miles this year I reckon and will be going onto SORN again at the end of October for the Winter. It'll be 5 years old on 27th May so if I leave it til, say, November to get it done then worst case scenario it'll be on (just) 14k and the belt will be 5 years and 5 months old.

If the 200's use the same parts and the interval is now 6 years/72,000 miles then in theory it would still be getting done within the recommended timescale........wouldn't it??

Then again I don't want to leave it and the engine gets damaged if the belt lets go after 5 years.

I wonder what Renault UK would advise....

Cheers Foxspeed - just looked at the other thread (and others linked from it).

I'm in two minds what to do really.

The car won't do more than a thousand miles this year I reckon and will be going onto SORN again at the end of October for the Winter. It'll be 5 years old on 27th May so if I leave it til, say, November to get it done then worst case scenario it'll be on (just) 14k and the belt will be 5 years and 5 months old.

If the 200's use the same parts and the interval is now 6 years/72,000 miles then in theory it would still be getting done within the recommended timescale........wouldn't it??

Then again I don't want to leave it and the engine gets damaged if the belt lets go after 5 years.

I wonder what Renault UK would advise....

put it this way mine wasnt done at exactly 5yrs....

only thing to remember is that the belt will deteriorate with age and a lot of stop-start doesnt do the belt teeth much good either...