Diy steering wheel refurb

jimmybeattie

Paid Member
Hi guys,

Just wanted to share my experience and review of a steering wheel retrim I done.

My steering wheel was like most 197's, peeling, worn leather and just looking awful. I looked into getting a pro retrim which would be about £150 and then while I was searching online I came across a post on a bmw forum about a company that supply custom fit covers that you sow on yourself. They were raving about them on that forum so I decided to give them a look.

The site was steeringcover. Com and after I had sent a couple of questions I placed my order. Communication was excellent from them and the package arrived quite quickly.

Now I have never done anything like this before and am certainly not a sower but after just a couple of hours I had a steering wheel that looked almost better than new. I am seriously impressed with the quality/price/ease of it all. Its never going to be as good as a pro retrim but for less than £20 is dam good

Just thought I'd share incase it helps someone else out.

IMG_20200108_124430.jpg IMG_20200105_125139.jpg IMG_20200105_125146.jpg IMG_20200104_134148.jpg IMG_20200102_142407.jpg IMG_20200102_142410.jpg

I've heard about these, but ones I seen didn't cover properly, yours looks really good and covers well.

I am very tempted.

A few questions
* Did you use all the tape it says it comes with?
* Was it extra for the stripe at the top?
* Did you take the wheel off to do it, as some vids do it in situ?
* Does the lower insert fit, do you know?

Thanks

Reactions: Phenom
I've heard about these, but ones I seen didn't cover properly, yours looks really good and covers well.

I am very tempted.

A few questions
* Did you use all the tape it says it comes with?
* Was it extra for the stripe at the top?
* Did you take the wheel off to do it, as some vids do it in situ?
* Does the lower insert fit, do you know?

Thanks

Hi,
I didn't use the tape at all. I had read reviews saying it made installing it more difficult and I can see why as the further round you sow you need to do some pulling/manouvering to get it right.

Stripe at the top didn't cost any extra. I just placed my order then emailed them to say I would like it with the top stripe and the colour for it and the colour for the thread. You can choose between 4 colours I think.

I just did it with the wheel still on the car. It might be easier off the car but it wasn't much of a hassle to be honest. Only needed to rotate the wheel round a couple of times.

Not sure about the lower insert because I don't have one. How tight is it normally on the wheel?

Cheers

Hi,
I didn't use the tape at all. I had read reviews saying it made installing it more difficult and I can see why as the further round you sow you need to do some pulling/manouvering to get it right.

Stripe at the top didn't cost any extra. I just placed my order then emailed them to say I would like it with the top stripe and the colour for it and the colour for the thread. You can choose between 4 colours I think.

I just did it with the wheel still on the car. It might be easier off the car but it wasn't much of a hassle to be honest. Only needed to rotate the wheel round a couple of times.

Not sure about the lower insert because I don't have one. How tight is it normally on the wheel?

Cheers

Thanks for the reply, yeah I just placed an order, I went red stitching and red band, so I'll also update once I fit mine, thanks for suggesting it, as it's not going to be as good as a Royal Steering Wheel refurb, but at 7.5x less, I don't expect it to be, I just am sick of my old wheel lol.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I just placed an order, I went red stitching and red band, so I'll also update once I fit mine, thanks for suggesting it, as it's not going to be as good as a Royal Steering Wheel refurb, but at 7.5x less, I don't expect it to be, I just am sick of my old wheel lol.

Yeh that was my thinking exactly. For £20 it looks and feels a hell of a lot better than it was

Thanks for sharing, I've just ordered a leather one with yellow stitching/ yellow band, Cost £44.96.
I'll share some updates once fitted.

Longer than it should have, due to Chinese New Year and Coronavirus, you might have a delay due to the latter, I have friends who live out there saying it is a bit crazy out there.

Reactions: Joe Goodwin
Looks lovely - can you confirm if you cut/removed your original trim first or did you just pop it on over the top?

It goes over the top, click on the link I posted above, there are vids in there how it's done.

So I went to fit it today, it's like it's not "thick" enough, so doesn't even meet up when I'm pushing it with some force, I'm normally good at these type of things, I tried 3 times and finally gave up, I've contacted them to see if there is a problem (with pics of how far the edges are!)