Diy steering wheel refurb

Discussion in 'Interior and Audio' started by jimmybeattie, Jan 9, 2020.

1. jimmybeattie

jimmybeattie Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    Hi guys,

Just wanted to share my experience and review of a steering wheel retrim I done.

My steering wheel was like most 197's, peeling, worn leather and just looking awful. I looked into getting a pro retrim which would be about £150 and then while I was searching online I came across a post on a bmw forum about a company that supply custom fit covers that you sow on yourself. They were raving about them on that forum so I decided to give them a look.

The site was steeringcover. Com and after I had sent a couple of questions I placed my order. Communication was excellent from them and the package arrived quite quickly.

Now I have never done anything like this before and am certainly not a sower but after just a couple of hours I had a steering wheel that looked almost better than new. I am seriously impressed with the quality/price/ease of it all. Its never going to be as good as a pro retrim but for less than £20 is dam good

Just thought I'd share incase it helps someone else out.

IMG_20200108_124430.jpg IMG_20200105_125139.jpg IMG_20200105_125146.jpg IMG_20200104_134148.jpg IMG_20200102_142407.jpg IMG_20200102_142410.jpg

Andyyox, Clio_RS, wootwoot and 5 others like this.

2. lewishunter98

lewishunter98 Paid Member

Car:
    Racing Blue Clio 197
    Looks awesome mate fair play!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

jimmybeattie likes this.
  3. suj

suj Paid Member

Car:
    Nimbus Grey 197
    I've heard about these, but ones I seen didn't cover properly, yours looks really good and covers well.

I am very tempted.

A few questions
    * Did you use all the tape it says it comes with?
    * Was it extra for the stripe at the top?
    * Did you take the wheel off to do it, as some vids do it in situ?
    * Does the lower insert fit, do you know?

Thanks

Phenom likes this.
  4. Mossy

Mossy Paid Member

Car:
    Too many
    That is brilliant mate :smile:

Have you a direct link?

5. suj

suj Paid Member

Car:
    Nimbus Grey 197
    Mossy and Phenom like this.
  6. Phenom

Phenom Paid Member

Car:
    Glacier White FF 200 Cup
    The most important question :laughing:
    Looking at it though I'm very tempted as already planning to go down retrim route

7. jimmybeattie

jimmybeattie Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    Hi,
    I didn't use the tape at all. I had read reviews saying it made installing it more difficult and I can see why as the further round you sow you need to do some pulling/manouvering to get it right.

Stripe at the top didn't cost any extra. I just placed my order then emailed them to say I would like it with the top stripe and the colour for it and the colour for the thread. You can choose between 4 colours I think.

I just did it with the wheel still on the car. It might be easier off the car but it wasn't much of a hassle to be honest. Only needed to rotate the wheel round a couple of times.

Not sure about the lower insert because I don't have one. How tight is it normally on the wheel?

Cheers

Mossy, suj and Phenom like this.
  8. jimmybeattie

jimmybeattie Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    If anyone has a spare lying about that they want to send me I can easily try it

9. suj

suj Paid Member

Car:
    Nimbus Grey 197
    Thanks for the reply, yeah I just placed an order, I went red stitching and red band, so I'll also update once I fit mine, thanks for suggesting it, as it's not going to be as good as a Royal Steering Wheel refurb, but at 7.5x less, I don't expect it to be, I just am sick of my old wheel lol.

10. jimmybeattie

jimmybeattie Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    Yeh that was my thinking exactly. For £20 it looks and feels a hell of a lot better than it was

11. wootwoot

wootwoot

Car:
    Clio 197
    Where did you have to sew?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

12. suj

suj Paid Member

Car:
    Nimbus Grey 197
    Go on the link and click installation from the menu, it has a video.

wootwoot likes this.