DIY ABS Delete

J90RDN

Paid Member
Hi. Strongly thinking of deleting out the ABS (2006 197). Have run track cars in the past without ABS, and much prefer the feel they have. It will obviously reduce a little weight and complexity in the engine bay.

Having looked at the system, there are obviously 2 feeds from the master cylinder to the ABS pump for front and rear, then 4 feeds from the pump to each wheel. My idea is to intercept the rear feed coming out of the master cylinder, feed it into the cabin to a Wilwood proportion valve, then return it to a T piece to feed to the 2 rear pipes. Then simply take the front feed, T piece it to the 2 front pipes.

Can anyone see a flaw in that plan?

Hi. Strongly thinking of deleting out the ABS (2006 197). Have run track cars in the past without ABS, and much prefer the feel they have. It will obviously reduce a little weight and complexity in the engine bay.

Having looked at the system, there are obviously 2 feeds from the master cylinder to the ABS pump for front and rear, then 4 feeds from the pump to each wheel. My idea is to intercept the rear feed coming out of the master cylinder, feed it into the cabin to a Wilwood proportion valve, then return it to a T piece to feed to the 2 rear pipes. Then simply take the front feed, T piece it to the 2 front pipes.

Can anyone see a flaw in that plan?

If you wanted to do it you could y piece to bypass the pump, but I believe it still needs to see pressure. Unplugging it causes a lot of hassle. No speedo, no epas & some pretty impressive bongs and warnings on the dash!

I have to say, though I agree no abs can be great on a smaller car, with the mk3 and good tyres, I haven't had it kick in at all, it just adjusts bias to suit. It's actually a really good system. I think you can only benefit from no ABS if you were rallying.

http://www.clio197.net/threads/gw-197-ex-michelin-road-cup-racer-track-car-sprints.53560/

Ah - I knew I'd get the dash errors, and a removal of the bulb or a resistor would hopefully sort that, but didn't realise it would affect Speedo and epas. EPAS doesn't worry me so much as I'm also tempted to go to a manual rack at some point (have heard the 172/182 rack might be an option). Come to think of it, speedo doesn't bother me much either as never really look at it on track. Food for thought

So if one or a couple of my ABS sensors are not working, how does that affect the system? I know I have at least one out.

Ah - I knew I'd get the dash errors, and a removal of the bulb or a resistor would hopefully sort that, but didn't realise it would affect Speedo and epas. EPAS doesn't worry me so much as I'm also tempted to go to a manual rack at some point (have heard the 172/182 rack might be an option). Come to think of it, speedo doesn't bother me much either as never really look at it on track. Food for thought

So if one or a couple of my ABS sensors are not working, how does that affect the system? I know I have at least one out.

They already have a manual rack. The motorised part is near the steering wheel.

If you haven't driven it on track yet I'd give it a blast first, should find ABS makes no difference to the driving. At least in the wet it just bias's to suit.

Probably bring up abs fault if you have one removed.

I'm not sure what pulling the fuse does. Problem is the proper abs warning also freezes the dash display to braking fault and it changes to red.

Could be very limiting for a small weight saving

http://www.clio197.net/threads/gw-197-ex-michelin-road-cup-racer-track-car-sprints.53560/

Time to revive a dead thread!

I need to replace my ABS pump as it looks like it died. I can go down the proline route and get an abs delete kit (and looks like I can leave in pump to keep the EDU plugged in to avoid faults), but it is more expensive then buying a replacement pump from ebay.

Does anyone know, if I get the same part number pump from ebay, is it PnP? Do I have to recode anything? If so, can a Renault Clip tool do it? Anything special I need to know about to make a replacement part work?