difference between the engine

Hello i have a clio mk3 2.0 138ps and wondered what the difference was with the engines? if it was just the top part that was different?

I don't know the answer but I think there will be a lot of differences. Probably different head, cams, inlet, exhaust, pistons, conrods, maybe crank, injectors etc.

It definitely won't be a case of putting a new inlet on your engine to get the 197ps

Completely different lump my friend, i believe the only shared items are the airbox and header tank.

On a different topic though, the old 90's espace 2 litre uses an F4R engine with different manifolds! Rebuild anyone?

Heads are reworked for the 172/182 also.

here's the main differences,

Renault Sport’s engineers achieved the power gains in the 2.0-litre engine by enhancing the flow of gas in the air intake manifold. The goal was to enable cylinders to inhale the largest possible quantity of air/petrol mixture, in order to increase the engine’s specific power output.

To increase the performance of the base 2.0-litre engine Renault Sport’s engineers made the following modifications:

The aluminium inlet manifold has been increased in length with a plenum volume increased from 3 to 4.8 litres to match the high speeds achieved by this unit.
The profile and section of the cylinder head ducts were machined by Mecachrome.
The valves, made from Nimonic (75% Nickel, 25% Chrome and Titanium), retain their former dimensions but offer resistance to high temperatures.
The platinum electrode spark plugs ensure more reliable spark generation and better mixture ignition. The life of the plugs is extended to 120,000 km.
Valve timing has been changed. Valve overlap is increased to achieve greater power output at high speed, while the reduced overlap permitted by the variable valve timing at low speeds increases flexibility and idling stability.
A special four-in-one tubular exhaust manifold feeds into two catalytic converters mounted side by side. This speeds the flow of gases through the stainless steel exhaust sytem and avoids back pressure as they exit the engine.
With a capacity of 1998cc, this engine develops its maximum power of 124kW at 6,250rpm, with maximum torque reaching 200Nm at 5,450rpm. To ensure smooth, pleasurable driving, 85% of maximum torque is available in a range extending from 2,500 to 6,500rpm and 95% of maximum power kicks in at 5,800rpm, with little power loss beyond 6,250rpm.

2.0 vvt is the M4r engine, co developed between Renault/Nissan

http://www.just-auto.com/news/new-alliance-developed-engine-for-renault-clio_id89608.aspx

Last edited: