Definitive Answer or someone make up my mind for me

mairtinb

Platinum Member
Finally having to bite the bullet and get 4 new tyres for the 200, after numerous humming and haing and research I'm opting for Goodyear F1 A2's but the question is 87 Y or 91 Y XL ??

Can't find a simple answer as to XL tyres being better/worse.?.?.?

What do you guys reckon? Couple of £ difference so not worried

Someone tell me which way to go, fed up trying to decide myself... :tongueout:anic:

87Y.

Going up in load rating will require you to run different pressures to standard and if you get it wrong then you can mess up the handling and trye wear. On a ~1200KG ~200BHP car, 87Y is more than ample enough to take the weight of the car and still provide good support etc.. There's more to it that's difficult to explain in wirting but I know what I mean in my head!!! :smiley:

I'll try find you a guide online once I've had my tea. :thumbsup:

*EDIT*

I think, but not certain, that the OEM tyres may actually be rated as 87W...

*EDIT EDIT*

Have a gander on here, there's also some good information about pressures etc.; http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

Last edited:
Cheers for the info, I've always been one to run at higher pressures so that didn't phase me, the oem continentals are W's yes but A2's only come in Y's.
Thinks I'll stick with the non XL's, through work I'm getting mates rates so i should be newly shod by tues with change from £400 for the 4, result and just in time to help me through what's looking like a cold hard winter...

There's some winter tyres just gone for sale in the classifieds mate... £100 for a full set.

I'd have them myself but we usually don't fair too badly here (touch wood) for snow.

Thanks Willis had a look but I'm over in N Ireland so bit hard otherwise I might have been tempted, we don't generally get it that bad round these parts so ill be relying on skills behind the wheel and the new Goodyear shoes

Mairtin

D'oh misread your location and thought you were over in Newcastle in the NE!!! :smiley: