Decat / Sports Cat Differences

Just a general question really. What are the differences/benefits of having each??

Seeing as i cant lower my 200, my thoughts are moving across to getting a 'sportier sound' on the car. I was looking at maybe the Ktec zaust (im not a high roller and definitely wont be buying an Aprovfajkfhkekfbsakg). I was also looking at the decat, which is like £65 (minus CS discount), so thought if I get an exhaust, I might aswell decat at the same time, due to the small cost of doing so.

I dont need to worry about MOT, as the 200 will be long gone before its first one, as ill be handing it back after 2 years (at which point it'll obviously be put back to standard and the exhaust sold on).

I dont plan to do this for a while, but its just a thought that has been rolling around my head the past few days, so thought id find out the differences between the two and what would warrant the extra cost.

As far as MOT goes (although you're not concerned) from my understanding the Clio will pass an MOT on the pre-CAT alone, which is in the downpipe. So, I guess with emissions not eing a concern, the only thing to consider is sound.. or volume. I'd imagine a decat will be louder (when cruising and on full throttle) than when running a sports CAT.

Is there a significant difference in power? I very much doubt it...

If it were me, I'd go for a decat then if it's too loud, revisit the decision (but I drive my car daily to work)

With that said, I think there's a KTEC exhaust and decat for sale on here right now, so I'd snap both up.. then sell the sports CAT on if you don't end up using it.

Rich

Decat it.. you will never get bored of little pops and bangs!
the difference between either wont be much even after a remap so its all about which noise you prefer

Ahh right. I think id go for the decat anyway, as its a big jump to £300 for the sports cat. I just wondered what were the differences between the two, and whether it warrants the extra cash.

On my old 172, I had a straight-through Ktec supersport recessed system, inc. decat. Loved the nice smell of fuel :wink: It was a little too loud at times, but pfff...

Its my birthday next week, so hopefully get a few pennies towards a system :wink:

Also, has anyone got videos of theirs with a exhaust system + decat? (maybe ktec so I can see what it sounds like)

Why cant you lower it? At first I thought due to the PCP deal but if your fitting an exhaust?

No-one makes any springs/coilovers that will fit the newest 200's yet (think from 2010 onwards?!!). They changed the design of the suspension or something, which means the current stuff on sale wont fit.

The dealership told me I can do whatever I want to the car, aslong as it is presented back to them in an OEM or OEM+ state (he even said they'd accept it back with an exhaust on). They told me that I should track it and have some real fun in it lol :wink:

I did mention that to them and they said aslong as the front end isnt absolutely covered, then ill be alright :wink:

I think when I give mine back, it'll be in much better condition than alot anyway, as I can see that alot will just abuse it for 2 years, whereas I do try to look after mine.

sounds good.. maybe for a couple hundred pounds you could invest in those clear protective layers? they are becoming more popular and protect against stone chips etc.

I'm confused by the whole later 200 spring debate.. from my understanding, the only difference is the later 200s have a different shok top mount, so coilovers and dampers will not fit. You can fit the older top mount design to work around this issue.

As for the spring, these sit between the shock and top mount, so as long as the spring perch at the top is the same shape, I can't see why lowering springs wouldn't fit.

Has anyone hot a piccy of the differences between them?

Rich

If you just want noise you could just remove the centre box and leave both cat's alone. Mine sounds exactly how I wanted it, pops and bangs and sounds like a right little rally slag!
BUT! Below say 3K its still really quiet, has a nice little burble out the pipes on idle (sounds best when coldon fast idle), but inside it sounds the same.

Dont know if It's gained anything other than noise, seems to pick up quicker abouve 5K then it used too, but the noise could be a placebo as it sounds awesome! lol

Kw have done new suspension for the 2011 200.
See recent posts...
Actually here u go..for 60reg onwards..
http://www.kwautomotive.co.uk/uk/kw_news_entry.php?PageId=product_news&EntryId=4009&Page=1

Have they got the cost of those up yet though?? I was initially going to look at the spring route first, rather than coilies. But it all depends on whether I feel rich at the time :wink:

Tbh, I think an exhaust is the best route to quench my "modding" thirst, as there's about 5-10mm gap when I put the car down the drive. So lowering would mean that it wouldn't be an option anymore. A nice loud "boy-racer-brap-brap" style exhaust would sort me out for a bit :tongue_smilie:

If you just want noise you could just remove the centre box and leave both cat's alone. Mine sounds exactly how I wanted it, pops and bangs and sounds like a right little rally slag!
BUT! Below say 3K its still really quiet, has a nice little burble out the pipes on idle (sounds best when coldon fast idle), but inside it sounds the same.

Dont know if It's gained anything other than noise, seems to pick up quicker abouve 5K then it used too, but the noise could be a placebo as it sounds awesome! lol

Do you happen to have a video of this mate?
Something i was looking into, did you go to an exhaust fabricator to have it done, if so, how much did it set you back. If you dont mind my asking!! :smile: