Cup Pack or no Cup Pack?

the way roads are now and will continue to be in the future it might be wise to go no cup even if it is softer than a non cup 197.....

but for me it would be cup as i just want those red calipers :foxspeed:

Except that Evo said that the 200 would have finished higher in their COTY test if it didn't have the Cup chassis, because it was too harsh for the road...

Thats the same mag that put the much harsher 182 Trophy 7th in there all time list of drivers cars.

Got to have the Cup Pack, I love the way it rides and it feels more connected than most of the other cars I have driven. This isn't to say that the non-Cup is bad, but you get red calipers...

It is like deciding between Kiera Knightley and Kiera Knightley smeared in honey LOL :smiley:

I'm curious...how many Cup pack owners have had a proper drive (more than a two minute blast) in a non-Cup packed 200?

Do dealers even have non-Cupped cars available for test drives?

I was always going to order the Cup Chassis with mine but I did have a fairly lengthy drive in a non-Cup Chassis 200.

It did feel softer but only on turn-in... other than that it was only noticeable on really badly-paved roads. Where the Cup Chassis felt 'nobbly' (that's the best word I can think to describe it), the standard car seemed to absorb the imperfections.

Personally, I ordered mine with the Cup Chassis because of the electric turn-in that I just didn't feel in the standard car. And I like red callipers.

And besides, coming from a coilovered 182 & Cup Chassis Twingo 133... either chassis on the 200 felt nicely sprung!

Just my 2p.

Having owned both a Trophy and now a cupped pack 200, I'd say that the 200 was much was harsher.

Really? Your dampers must have gone then.

The ride in the Trophy is much stiffer, did you every bounce test your Trophy? Its just doesn't move.

What I would say is that if you hit a big bump the Trophy was better but on normal rough roads the 200 is far more comfortable.

I'm curious...how many Cup pack owners have had a proper drive (more than a two minute blast) in a non-Cup packed 200?

Do dealers even have non-Cupped cars available for test drives?

I have had a decent drive of a non cup 197 which is not as soft and I much prefer the cup packed 200.

To be fair for me its the steering rather than the suspension. I have driven both non cup and cup'd 197s and never liked them, hence never owning one.

I know its only a tiny 7% quicker but that seemed to make all the difference to me and made it worth leaving a MK2 RS Clio. I can hand on heart say with no Cup pack I would still have my 182 Trophy.

Got to admit the 7% quicker steering is something I think would improve the drive on mine.

I myself have never driven a Cup packed 197/200...but coming from 9 years of ownership from new and over 130k miles in a 172 Cup, I can't really fault the soft 200 in any way shape or form.

CUP PACK..............do it, its hilarious :smile: I laugh at myself thinking that others are aughing at me going down the M-way bobbing up and down.
The handing and confidence as mentioned is 2nd to none.
All that said, I have never had a non-cup clio, so you may ignore me.
I do not like the way or look non-cup stand/apear.

Sorry to hijack the thread but what's the opinion on fitting second hand cup suspension, I ask because I've won some on eBay, springs and dampers that have done 30,000, just wondered what peoples thoughts where, not sure at moment if I,m going to fit or not, as said sorry for hijack.

How much did you pay if you dont mind me asking, i dont think it's much new is it?

No cup pack, they're better on bumpy roads, like in Wales for example.

Except that Evo said that the 200 would have finished higher in their COTY test if it didn't have the Cup chassis, because it was too harsh for the road...

Is it the same magazine that scored the clio 200 CUP the 5th best car of the year 2009 after the Evora, 997 gt3, M600 and LP670 (issue 138 )? I'm quoting:

''The roads today haven't helped, we reckon it MIGHT have done better had it been the more supple non Cup chassis...''

It MIGHT...if it was the 197 I'd probably say it would have done (slightly anyway) but on 200 the quicker steering and thicker ARB in combination to stiffer suspension seem to play a significant role. From what I read anyway, I haven't driven one.:smile:

Last edited:
hi guys,

I am reading this forum since I have my clio RS 197 from July 2010. As there is no such club neither a forum in Hungary its hard to find info about m y car and learn.

After yesterdays tarckday at Hungaroring -F1 track in Hungary- I went to check my suspension to a garage and took the following picture about my front suspension (see attached)

Is this a CUP suspension or not?

thanks in advance
Tamas

RS_002.jpg