correlation between front and rear brake pads

peter

POTM Winner - February 2017
i had a look in the sticky thread about what people use as front and rear pads. quite a few of you uprate the front pads, but not the rears. not so many have the same front and rears. why is that? i'm planning to get some beefier (same spec) pads on the front and the rear. now i'm not so sure anymore.

From what I've heard, the standard rear setup is more than adequate.

From what I've heard, the standard rear setup is more than adequate.

But surely upgrading the front pads means that there's more weight transfer to the front of the car when the rears are kept standard. Maybe people don't upgrade the rears too because they think that they don't do enough?

Day to day and light track use, the fronts are going to be taking the brunt of the strain, rears don't do as much in terms of stopping the car so not as essential to have high performance pads. Obviously people serious about the track will do both sets though..

forgot to tell, i use my clio eight to ten times a year on track. that's the main reason i'm looking for pads with a bit more stamina. the tracks we have over here (belgium) are notoriously hard on the brakes (and tyres).

the rears also do the handbrake so you need a pad that can give good brake test results come mot time...

it could be as an mot is done with likely cold rear brakes, so the consideration is to have a pad with enough of a friction co when cold - not just how good the pad is when at a working temp.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

it could be as an mot is done with likely cold rear brakes, so the consideration is to have a pad with enough of a friction co when cold - not just how good the pad is when at a working temp.

Good point!

True but in actual practice I can't envisage ever having a rear pad that would cause a problem tbh.
On slicks the cup racers use ds1.11 front and I think Ds2500(?) at the back.
So on road tyres and r-comps that most of us will be running here, then be fine on stock rears or ds2500s really if pairing with an aggressive front set.