Bad stutter between 2.5k - 4k

Hi all, recently bought a 197 as a track car and am noticing that sometimes (not all of the time), I have a big stutter between 2.5-4k RPM. Pedal goes nowhere, just loads of pops and bangs. Then it will clear itself.

Alternatively, if I nail the throttle, it clears it, or if I drop a gear to take it out of this range, it will clear itself.

This happens randomly, engine hot or cold. Some journeys - not at all. Some journeys, every single time I am in this RPM band.

This is my second 197 (I used to own an R27), and am pretty sure this isn’t “the” 197 flatsport. I’m sure this must have been a pretty common issue in the past, can anyone provide any insight?

Thanks

Ryan.

I had a similar problem. After a lot of misdiagnosing, it turned out the be the spark plugs. I would take them all out and check them.

It usually shows up as a graph. The first lambda should move up and down on idle. The second stays relatively flat.

Also, the obd reader will pick up fault codes you wouldnt see on the dash.

Sounds crazy but when I had my old ktec system my car would do this. As soon as I switched it for another exhaust it went away. Are you running aftermarket exhaust or stock?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Also, you are using v power or momentum right?
I know I should be using 97, but in my old 197, it aided the flat spot. But as mentioned - this is not "the 197 flat spot". Far worse. It's almost like the throttle pedal provides 0 input no matter how hard you press it (apart from full throttle only). It will provide 0 load through the power train. It sounds like we are in an anti-lag mode.

Sounds crazy but when I had my old ktec system my car would do this. As soon as I switched it for another exhaust it went away. Are you running aftermarket exhaust or stock?

The car came with an aftermarket one. I think the guy called it a "toyo" god knows, haven't heard of it.

Initially, it was decatted, but he removed this to get through an MOT. I believe it has a cat in it currently, and an aftermarket backbox.

Do the symptoms sound the same?

"It's almost like the throttle pedal provides 0 input no matter how hard you press it (apart from full throttle only). It will provide 0 load through the power train. It sounds like we are in an anti-lag mode."

Reactions: lewishunter98
The car came with an aftermarket one. I think the guy called it a "toyo" god knows, haven't heard of it.

Initially, it was decatted, but he removed this to get through an MOT. I believe it has a cat in it currently, and an aftermarket backbox.

Do the symptoms sound the same?

"It's almost like the throttle pedal provides 0 input no matter how hard you press it (apart from full throttle only). It will provide 0 load through the power train. It sounds like we are in an anti-lag mode."
Yep, exact same! It would cough, splutter, sound like it was misfiring like you say anti lag too. If I changed gear when it did it or went through that rev range and it was spluttering it would make a really loud bang sometimes. Mine would still do it if I floored it though