Confused about the clio 197

Hi am new to this site and am looking to purchase a clio 197 and am confused to the differences between all the models can anyone on here clarafly this?

197 has AC, a better dash and interior, more sound deadening, leather steering wheel and gearknob, side curtain airbags, colour coded mirrors and rubbing strips, silver wheels

197 cup has a cheaper dash, AC was an option, less sound deadening, cheaper steering wheel and gear knob. unpainted rubbing strips and mirrors. comes with more focused suspension and is lighter than regular 197, grey wheels, red brake callipers

later 197s and all 200's were available with the full spec but with the cup suspension as an upgrade, same as the 182.

i have a full fat 197 but have now upgraded to cup suspension.

The r27 is effectively a 197 with the cup pack fitted. So gets lower, stiffer suspension, Recaro seats, grey wheels and red brake calipers. Also has privacy glass and decals.

Optional extras on the normal 197 were
Climate control
Cup pack
Xenon headlamps with cornering
Auto wipers and headlights
Projector headlights with cornering
Cabbase 6 cd changer
Privacy glass
Later cars could have leather
Recaros
Bluetooth.

Then there are a few spoilers, some additional side and front skirts and some Black Speedline wheels.

I think that is it.

Last edited:
The normal 197 also gets keyless entry and start/stop, where as the cup does with a normal key, plus the 197 has cruise with a speed limiter as standard, the cup doesn't.

Last edited:
If you can - an R27, but I would say that lol :wink:

If not the a FF (normal 197) with a Cup Pack, Recaros and Xenons

Yeah it won't be an R27 if it is missing Recaros, you won't be disappointed if you get one without those seats but they do look and feel good! Have you got a like you can post up of the one that you want? Might be another members old car...

Crunch some numbers and see if you can get a new 200.

Owning a 3-4 year 197 for 2 years could cost as much as running a new 200 for the same time.

I would (and have) go for a FF with recaro seats and cup pack. The xenon lights are class. AC is a must and the recaro seats transform the car.

When I looked I wanted cup pack and recaro seats. I struggled to find one but found mine with the sears but not cup pack so did the suspension afterwards.

If you can manage it go for the R27. I found a great one but the guy sold it back to the dealer before I could view it.

I would (and have) go for a FF with recaro seats and cup pack. The xenon lights are class. AC is a must and the recaro seats transform the car.

When I looked I wanted cup pack and recaro seats. I struggled to find one but found mine with the sears but not cup pack so did the suspension afterwards.

If you can manage it go for the R27. I found a great one but the guy sold it back to the dealer before I could view it.

If you dont mind me asking, how much did it cost you to add the cup suspension afterwards? im looking at doing this :smile:

Its all preference really, do you like your comforts or do you want stiffer suspension and lighter car?

My preference is I like my Comforts and fancy bits. Others would choose the opposite.
It regards to speed, there isn't much difference between them.

If you dont mind me asking, how much did it cost you to add the cup suspension afterwards? im looking at doing this :smile:

i paid £200 for 4x cup shocks new from renault and £145 for eibach springs. i have a thread about it in the 'suspension and brakes' section. only got them delivered a few days back.

that was heavily discounted though but it just took a little shopping around. my local dealers wanted over to £600 for the shocks and springs i think

i will be fitting them as soon as the weather allows.

i think that the cups chassis was a £450 factory option and the seats about £750.

the recaro seats transform the car IMO. well worth trying to find a car with them already fitted as they will be quite hard or expensive to find to retro-fit.

i do like the cup but like will197 i like the fancy bits too. the xenon cornering lights are superb and the weight saving is only slight so most wouldnt really notice it.

the difference between say the 172 cup and the 172FF was huge but i dont think it is so much in the 197

i had a new 182 FF with cup chassis and im so glad i got that over the 182 cup 'propper'. the toys were brilliant.

If it wasn't for the ride height I'd say the stiffer cup suspension isn't necessary on the roads for everyday driving. But I like my comfort and tech, so the ff is perfect for me!