Condensation in rear light clusters

ashtons99

Gold Member
Ive had a search but can find nothing on this.

The beads of condensation are in the upper red section of the light units and seem to be stuck there.

Any ideas on prevention/cause

got this on mine keeping meaning to remove it and use hair dryer to clear it out :001_rolleyes:

i would have thought this would be an easy fix mate,the rear lights come off with 3 torax screws iirc and a small tug,then simply remove the bulb cluster by pricing back the four clips and dry it out,might be worth making a new seal for the cluster to prevent it happening again

Had this problem on a previous car - removed unit, let it dry overnight on a radiator, drilled a couple of 1/8th holeson back of unit and refitted - never had the problem again.
Drill the holes low down and facing upwards so you don't get any water running into them

Ive just spent a couple of hours taking the units out, and drying them out with the heat gun. Ive run a fine bead of clear silicone all the way around the jointing surface where the lens joins the unit back, although Im not convinced that is where the moisture is getting in. The seal on the bulb carrier section isnt damaged but doesnt inspire me!

Im not sure about drilling the unit but it seems it may be a solution although the condensation sits right in the upper section of the lamps so doubtful it would drain out.

I will see how it goes now its dried out

The hole drilling works by letting any dampness escape which if it can't then turns into condensation - like leaving a bathroom window open slightly helps keep the room clear

The hole drilling works by letting any dampness escape which if it can't then turns into condensation - like leaving a bathroom window open slightly helps keep the room clear
Ah..right. I will see how things go and if it recurs I will give the drill a go.