Con-rods bearings / crankshaft problem ?!?

iirc there is a baffle plate in the 197 sump :bat:

having said that one of the uses of the white metal bearings is to stop items like that being picked up as such ie dirt/metal

Last edited:
i say that is pretty bad thing. I have been thinking how much clio 197 standard engine will handle hard driving.. trackdays etc. Is oil surge really problem with 197? You in UK slam them all day in track without problems? I have been only once in trackday with my clio and little bit worrying about conrod bearings..

My conrod bearings went and the Clio has never ever been on a track. Even had ARP bolts installed on the moment it happened...
The faulty ones were to the opposite side of the oil pump so oil starvation might have had a hand in this...

The only difference I would take a guess at would be the higher ambient temperatures in the countries this has happened in, so the oil could be running thinner, what viscosity oil have the guys been running? Might be worth contacting the oilman off here to see if he would recommend a more race orientated oil incase the oil pressure is getting too low when its hot causing the starvation

The only difference I would take a guess at would be the higher ambient temperatures in the countries this has happened in, so the oil could be running thinner, what viscosity oil have the guys been running? Might be worth contacting the oilman off here to see if he would recommend a more race orientated oil incase the oil pressure is getting too low when its hot causing the starvation

worth looking in to

not heard any reports of bottom end bearings going....its usually the con rods that fail!!!!

5w40. the oil gradation
i've a friend who works in renault and he told me that he saw around 5 rs3 with this problem, and 3 of these 5 with less of 5oookm....

97216-004-D655301C.jpg

Last edited:
not heard any reports of bottom end bearings going....its usually the con rods that fail!!!!

Thats why I would be more inclined to look at the oiling, the rod bolts seem to be the common weak point on the cars that have failed over here from the what the guys in the know are saying, might be worth considering a higher viscosity race type oil or the use of an oil cooler for the cars that get driven hard in warmer countries

So it's spun a bearing and blocked the oilway?

If it goes quiet after that i doubt its the crank, more of a sticking tappet.

cant spin a shell and block the oil hole as its in the crank that supplies oil to the rod bearings - its the whole shells that are spinning - dont think they have locating tabs on so could be an issue with fitting specs in the rods

that knock is quite "heavy" and does sound "bottom" end wise....not good doing that - lifters usually sound more "tickety" if you know what i mean!

But if adams engine randomly does it i doubt it's the bottom end knocking is it?

They can't fix themselves can they? i thought once a crank starts knocking it's game over.:tongueout:anic:

I think the half bearings are banana shaped though so if they do spin you get a bigger clearance in the load axis which could cause the scuffing problem even if they oil gallery isn't blocked.

thats a main bearing cap that has spun and blcoked the oil way and that WILL cause the big ends to fail......

i would say thats oil starvation causuing the bearings to "nip" and spin!!!!

The last pictures are from an engine with motul v300..

doesnt matter what oil you use if it loses oil pressure it will pick-up on the bearings and spin them!

it could also be a clearance issue with the crank/bearings

ferrari have just recalled a lot of v8 for this reason :tongueout:anic:

Pressure gauge can help us?

I would want temperature with a warning light as well, this would give an early warning before the pressure starts to drop, due to the pressure at the bearings being low not necessarily showing that much on a single pressure indicator that is near the pump. Also, consider finding out if an oil with an increased high temperature viscosity is suitable for your engine and usage