197: Comparisons to a Fiesta ST

Hey guys, I'm a first time poster so firstly hello to everyone.

I'm posting in this section as the thred will more be about the clio than me.

Basically I am looking into getting a new car and really like the 197. As the title says I had a mint Fiesta ST with some tasteful modifacations that IMO improved the car but the basic kit was really good. I bought my first house recently and unfortunately had to sell both my cars but now I'm looking to trade in my girlfriends Corsa and put some fun back into driving.

My fez had 6cd auto changer, auto lights, auto wipers, and an aux port. All of which are a must in a new car considering my girlfriends Corsa has 3/4 of them as well. Can you tell me which of these the 197 has or if any were optional etc.

Also what should I look out for when buying? I will probably only have 6-7k to spend.

Also, I had ST500 alloys on the Fez which set the car off a treat, are there any gloss black alloys available for the Clio or do people jsut get them refurbed and painted?

Lastly I know the advantages of the Clio as a drivers car, my mate had a mod'd 182 and I had to work very hard to keep with a girl casually driving a 197 a while back.

Any replies will be appreciated.

Keebz

Welcome mate, auto lights/wipers are standard on 197 non cup, 6 cd changer was part of the cabbase upgrade option, tunepoint (aux in) was an option for standard stereo but not available for the cabbasse upgrade. There is a aux port on the cabbasse and some people have retro fitted device leads to it.

As for wheels, standard non cup 197 has silver, 197 cup or cup pack 197 has grey wheels, there was an option for 197/200 matt black/white wheels which look similar to the cup racer rim (cant remember the name of then bur made by speedline like the standards.
After market wise, one or two here have oz ultras, one or two (including myself) have team dynamics 1.2s. 18s off the megane 225/230 fit aswel. There maybe some ive missed

Thanks for the reply, I guess I will just have to get the wheels done myself which is easy enough so it wont be a deal breaker. I'm ideally looking for one with xenons so will this still have the auto lights and wipers?

It does seem a little strange that customers could't have an aux and changer on the same unit. Although again if its possible its no problem, at least it gives me something to do once I have got it.

There is an aux in connetion on the back of the head unit under the drivers seat and an option in the stereos menu to turn aux on/off.
Yes xenons have auto wipers/lights, xenons are an option available for non cup 197.

I think auto lights / wipers were actually an option on the early cars at least.

Things to look for are:
the darker headlamps (and make sure the cornering lights work)
Climate control (regular A/C controls look a bit Playmobil)
Recaros are nice and will make resale easier, but don't pay too much for them, in reality the standard seats are fine they just don't look as sexy

Do you still use CD's? Mine had the CD changer but over the 18 months I had it, I never used it, preferring to use my iPod through a Parrot kit. Aftermarket stereos could provide the best solution for you, but be sure to take account of the costs of adaptors for the stereo surround and to make the steering column controls and dash top display work.

Go for the newest one you can; older cars are prone to some expensive issues such as exhaust manifolds, steering track rods (not arms), ball joints, amongst other things. These seem to be a consequence of age rather than mileage.

My 197 must be the most basic model going!

No Auto lights / wipers
No Climate
No Cornering lights
No Recaros

Does have see-me-home lights though (for what they are worth..)

slightly off topic but is there anywhere you can type in your reg and it tells you what extras it has? maybe a long shot lol

Thanks for the reply Ralphy, having just bought a house, now buying a conservatory, going on a Carribean cruise next year and being only 20, finances are a little tight so I will have to see what we can afford.

Thanks for the info. I did use CDs in the Fez but I guess I could deal with jsut having the ipod/iphone. Actually I can't see why I even care about the changer now you mention it. I guess we are just creatures of habit.

Chris, was you on the STOC at all? did you ahve any mods to your Fez?

:welcome: to the site dude.

I have a secret love for the Fiesta ST - you may have seen that post I made on STOC when I swapped my 197 for an ST for a month :wink:

I hope you get what you are looking for :smile:

My 197 must be the most basic model going!

No Auto lights / wipers
No Climate
No Cornering lights
No Recaros

Does have see-me-home lights though (for what they are worth..)

Mine too! Don't even think mine has 'see me home lights' as you put it. I may as well of bought a cup! lol