Cold start - gutless and kangaroo effect what is it??

Hi there :smile:

have had my racing blue 197 cup for just over a month now and whenever its cold it is seriously gutless is this normal? and it kangaroos alot? i just read a thread on here and it was refered to as the 'kangaroo effect' what is this and what do i need to do?

Also when car is cold it is hard to select gear for example to reverse off my drive i have to fight to get it into reverse ?

also my drivers bolster on recaro is worn will the warrenty cover this? as it is really annoying me looking all tatty lol

any help will be really appreciated as id like to get this done under warrenty asap..

I got so sick of this happening to me that I just let the car warm up for a couple mins before I start off.

Heard a remap may fix it, and some dealers are also fixing this at a service if prompted..

have had my racing blue 197 cup for just over a month now and whenever its cold it is seriously gutless is this normal? and it kangaroos alot? i just read a thread on here and it was refered to as the 'kangaroo effect' what is this and what do i need to do?

Also when car is cold it is hard to select gear for example to reverse off my drive i have to fight to get it into reverse ?

also my drivers bolster on recaro is worn will the warrenty cover this? as it is really annoying me looking all tatty lol

any help will be really appreciated as id like to get this done under warrenty asap..

they all do the kangarooing and cold start thing mate and i'm afraid the only solution is a remap,as for being gutless its not advised to be giving it some when its cold tbf,

they also suffer from gearbox problems but its only a major problem when it crunches from 4th to 3rd or vice versa iirc,a change of gearbox oil may help,

the warrenty will cover the worn bolster mate as myself and a hell of alot of others have had it done,they may try and fob you off but don't let them,just say you know other have had it done under warrenty as you've been speaking to forum members,worked for me...

a service won't fix it but putting good fuel in may help the problem,not alot though,try tescos momentum or shell V power

cheers mate just rung renault but service department isnt open as they are half timers and dont work weekends haha, so will call them tuesday after the bank holiday,

when i say gutless when cold i dont mean like trying to fly off straight away just even slight throttle the car isnt very responsive and kangaroos and just feels like its got 100000000 bungee cords on the back trying to stop it from going anywhere untill it is warm then it is normal lol

Sounds like you've got a normal 197 to me, you have the same problems as a good few folks have.

I bet your glovebox sags too and the little rubber strips on the rear side windows are split too :smiley:

It's not wise to give it beans when it's not warm anyway and as giles said, let it warm up for 30 secs or so before setting off, a common thing to do is turn off the traction control until it's warmed up, makes a difference.

I'm just going through a warranty claim for my drivers recaro, they've offered 85% of cost up to yet.

cheers mate just rung renault but service department isnt open as they are half timers and dont work weekends haha, so will call them tuesday after the bank holiday,

when i say gutless when cold i dont mean like trying to fly off straight away just even slight throttle the car isnt very responsive and kangaroos and just feels like its got 100000000 bungee cords on the back trying to stop it from going anywhere untill it is warm then it is normal lol

ah ok mate,anyway yeah it sounds pretty normal to me,don't pay anything to fix the bolster though,i didn't

ah ok mate,anyway yeah it sounds pretty normal to me,don't pay anything to fix the bolster though,i didn't

okay then mate :smile: il try the traction control thing like mentioned above, and i wont pay anything lol

iv had a few meetings with renault in the month and a week iv had the car within 2 days of getting it the starter motor packed up in tesco car park so they had to recover it the next day and then 2 days after fixed it it went again down to technician eff up then was washing the car 2 weeks ago and laquer was falling off the front bumper so after a big scene with the director at the dealership and a few kind words thrown in they resprayed the bumper and mopped the whole car

so now i will start another war with the seat :whatever: haha

i had the same problem on my 197 with the kangarooing and went and got a remap from Ktec 4 months ago and havent had a kangarooing episode since and after a remap the whole car feels brillant :smile:

if you see the official write up from renualt about the cold start running "issue" it advises to let the car warm up for 30sec-1 minute before driving off...:bat:

I got so pissed of with this i bought a new car...

...well not really but it was annoying.
Just how the car is, as has been said; although putting 98-99 RON fuel and an ITG filter helped mine a lot.

Try selecting first gear first and then put it into reverse. I do this with every car. Stops any crunching.

And a map doesnt cure the kangerooing on every car, maybe makes its better but not cures it