Coilover Kits: Looks or Handling

Looking at the possibility of finally getting set of coilovers for the 200. But was wondering, whether people that have them think the handling is much better. As most of the threads i looked at all talk about the stance of the car and how nice it looks when lowered. But that doesnt interest me, im more concerned about whether it will give noticablely better handling. And not just on track, on the road. As the standard set up deals with bumps and changes in camber so superbly that i wonder whether coilover kits like KW etc can actually be any better. Obviously they will be on the track, i dont doubt that, but i drive more on the road.

Thoughts and experience please?

Sets like the KW V3s and Clubsports have adjustable damping, rebound etc. so should allow you to set it up the car better for different road surfaces.

Its a on-going debate. I haven't fitted coilovers to my 197 so can't talk from experience however I have fitted coilovers to quite a few cars and driven clio's with them fitted. Horses for courses but like most mods that are derived from track or rally use, thats where they are best ultilised. Road, the margins are small with regard to better and although the coilovers are for adjustability, I'm guessing only 25% ever change the set-up once they are happy with them. IMO. Thats not saying I wouldn't fit them (Would love some KW3's), just the outlay is significant for a good set £1000+ and also the really need setting up probably, which can mean another £100+, so your looking at avg £1300 including fitting.

The thing I always believe is Renaultsport spent most of the budget in the clio on the handling so I didn't want to deviate too much away from the original set-up.

Last edited:
You'll struggle to find anyone thats fitted coilovers (Or modified their car in some way) that says it didnt better the car.

Imo, the coilovers I fitted to the car (H&Rs) are very similar to the cup suspension in terms of ride quality ie. bumpy but acceptable. Have I noticed much difference on the road with the coilovers? No! But then since getting the coilovers fitted we've not had the chance to test it. So you could say I'm being unfair on the H&Rs in those terms. It certainly looks frickin awesome. But your not buying them for that.

I am considering the KW Clubsport coilovers soon as an upgrade over the H&Rs. Why? I like the full adjustability of them. I like the ability to soften the suspension up a bit for the bumpy roads of the highlands etc. And for the track, the ability to finely tune it to my driving style.

All down to personal preference at the end of the day.

You'll struggle to find anyone thats fitted coilovers (Or modified their car in some way) that says it didnt better the car.

Imo, the coilovers I fitted to the car (H&Rs) are very similar to the cup suspension in terms of ride quality ie. bumpy but acceptable. Have I noticed much difference on the road with the coilovers? No! But then since getting the coilovers fitted we've not had the chance to test it. So you could say I'm being unfair on the H&Rs in those terms. It certainly looks frickin awesome. But your not buying them for that.

I am considering the KW Clubsport coilovers soon as an upgrade over the H&Rs. Why? I like the full adjustability of them. I like the ability to soften the suspension up a bit for the bumpy roads of the highlands etc. And for the track, the ability to finely tune it to my driving style.

All down to personal preference at the end of the day.

I thought they wernt adjustable? Only the KW3's? I could be wrong tho! But i no the guy (bowser on here i believe) who's car was the test bed for them and has the 1st set, pretty sure there just a normal shock?

Thanks guys.

Next question - do KW have a kind of standard set up sheet. where it tells you optimum setting for track / smooth road / bumpy road etc? if they did then this could seal it as im no expert and wouldnt know where to start, lol.

I thought they wernt adjustable? Only the KW3's? I could be wrong tho! But i no the guy (bowser on here i believe) who's car was the test bed for them and has the 1st set, pretty sure there just a normal shock?

Nope. Fully adjustable:

"KW Club Sport kit features

Height adjustable coilovers
Performance setup for the racetrack
Dampers in compression & rebound forces independently adjustable
Use of high performance linear race springs
Stainless steel technology - 'Inox-line'
Optionally available with racing top mounts
TÜV approval possible depending on the specification"

Thanks guys.

Next question - do KW have a kind of standard set up sheet. where it tells you optimum setting for track / smooth road / bumpy road etc? if they did then this could seal it as im no expert and wouldnt know where to start, lol.

Yeah their setting is 9-5 for road, but i use 7-4, this is for kw v3's.

Noddie, fair enough mate i thought it was just a normal unit but set up amazing! Crossed my mind about getting AST's and flogging th v3's! Hmmmm lol

You'd struggle to improve its ROAD manners over the standard set up. With it you get plenty of travel to soak up the bumps and what not, they are very well set up as stock imo. Only reason I got my KW's was to drop it a wee bit but its not as compliant on a B road

I've said it once and I'll say it again, H&R Springs with Cup Dampers is a fantastic setup and a third of the price of coilovers. :smile:

I'll readily admit that I haven't been in a 197/200 with coilovers, but this setup is a bit lower and a bit stiffer and a bit more aggressive than standard without losing any driveability and without having to spend a whole heap of cash. I do fully understand why people go down the coilover route and I've done it myself before on previous cars, but I've never had anything that grips and handles like Nicole does.

Possibly, if you already have cup dampers. I got My V1' @ £500, they fitted for about a month buy some guy on here, then sold up lol!

I've said it once and I'll say it again, H&R Springs with Cup Dampers is a fantastic setup and a third of the price of coilovers. :smile:

I'll readily admit that I haven't been in a 197/200 with coilovers, but this setup is a bit lower and a bit stiffer and a bit more aggressive than standard without losing any driveability and without having to spend a whole heap of cash. I do fully understand why people go down the coilover route and I've done it myself before on previous cars, but I've never had anything that grips and handles like Nicole does.

Couldn't agree more.....Hard to improve these cars even with burning your wallet!!!!

Possibly, if you already have cup dampers. I got My V1' @ £500, they fitted for about a month buy some guy on here, then sold up lol!

H&R = ~£185
Cup Dampers = ~£200 (NEW)
Any Decent Coilovers = ~£1200 (NEW) plus £??? setup and fitting...

Nooooooooooo. V1's, H&R's are 'decent' and around the £800/£900 mark

Springs still have to be fitted remember (obviously less involved on the set up side)