Cllio Trophy Update

According to Jeremy at RUK the Trophy is in production and the UK is awaiting the first press cars to arrive,price to be released this month.

Looking at 200T's at the minute, tempted to hold out for one of these though. Hopefully the price won't be silly.
Can get a new Lux 200T through carwow for sub £19000 including cup pack. Hoping the trophy will be available sub £20000 new with discount. Doubt it though.

Can't see them coming with any sort of discount, at least to start with.

If I had to put money on it, I would say £21,995 retail price. Got to be at least £1,500-£2,00 over a stock car I would have thought.

It has. Pearl (matt) white.

40% faster gearbox
220 hp
Different turbo
Increased redline

Thats the stuff i can remember

How'd you mean? I thought spec had been released already.

Ive not seen it mate? Is it one of those Renaultsport either stick some decals on it; paint it a different colour or call after a race circuit but in principle, it's 90% the same car but charge an extra 3k cause it's 'limited'?

It has. Pearl (matt) white.

40% faster gearbox
220 hp
Different turbo
Increased redline

Thats the stuff i can remember

sounds interesting. I know there will always be improvements but I can't understand why they couldn't have sent the car out like this in the first place? Call me cynical but maybe wanted to get the run on the ST. I would be absolutely gutted if I was locked into a 5 year finance deal only for Renault to release this. This is going to really hurt the value of the other models. I said it before, anyone who really wants a 200t, I'd wait cause Renault will continue to drip these changes into the car, and couple of years from now, you might see the car it should have been in the first place. They seemed to be able to manage it with the Meg?

Last edited:
Have you drove one [MENTION=1286]litchy[/MENTION] ?

Ive seen you be negative towards it, its not a bad car by any means, I'm loving mine. When reading that the gearbox is going to be 40% faster, I dont find it slow, and in race its pretty much instant changes.

And Renault always release different versions of there cars, if you didnt know that when you bought it then you should have done research, not everyone can have the best model all the time, so I dont think people will be gutted. I for one dont like the matt white paint...

Have you drove one @litchy ?

Ive seen you be negative towards it, its not a bad car by any means, I'm loving mine. When reading that the gearbox is going to be 40% faster, I dont find it slow, and in race its pretty much instant changes.

And Renault always release different versions of there cars, if you didnt know that when you bought it then you should have done research, not everyone can have the best model all the time, so I dont think people will be gutted. I for one dont like the matt white paint...

Yep, drove a couple @Chris91. I developed a relationship with my parts manager at the local Renault dealer when putting my car back on the road and also when doing the conversion. He's a good bloke so I've had a test drive when they first came out and also one for a day or so when Wife was thinking about changing her car.

Yep I wasn't impressed but then that's just an honest opinion. its not a bad car IMO for what's that worth, just was a big disappointment. On the forecourt, I couldn't immediately tell which was the RS model when it was first launched, which the wife loved so it was downhill from there!! Couldn't live with the interior either. Gearbox is fine, just should never have been in a renaultsport. Also, If that's the future, why haven't they put one in their beloved Megane?

Im not a big fiesta fan but that ST is everything that the Renault should have been. I've driven one and its amazing bit of kit especially when you think they have room for an RS model.

Yep the release different versions but I guess, it's not the fact that Renault do it, it's the fact that others don't. Look at how many so called limited edition 200's which were just painted a different colour. Ford will do the ST and when you've paid your hard earned, you still feel like you've got the same car a couple of years from now. They'll even offer you 'in house' mods that don't impact on your warranty. Renaultsport, you'll quickly feel like your driving the old model.

Sorry Renaultsport, you missed a trick, this spec should have been the first model with the paint options. The Trophy should then been the same as the Meg with proper chassis upgrades, exhaust, brakes and a little more power.

Last edited:
Fair enough if you've drove one, I guess your one of the old school hot hatch fans that gets referred to in a lot of these reviews! Im 23, open to something a bit new and am enjoying it, I did consider a megane but with my budget, id have ended up with an older car than what I've got now, yeah the power would have been nice, but for what I want I'm happy.

As to the gearbox in the megane? Dont know, they did release it 3 years earlier than the clio, perhaps they hadn't developed it fully, perhaps we'll see one in the next shape... If thats the route renault want to take. I dont think so though, I think they're probably aiming at having there main car a bit more hardcore, and the clio and twingo something in-between.

You say to the looks of it? Agree to you in some extent, this is the main reason I went for the yellow one, it stands out. But saying that, I dont think the Fiesta looks anything more special, bigger wheels, big front grill and a coloured rear diffuser, pretty much the same as what the clio got isn't it? Dont know what you mean about the interior though, its better than my 197s by a long way, the seats (I have leather mind) are very good in particular.

Again to Ford, they will do the same with an RS version of the car I would say, whoever has the ST is going to be outdated, do agree with you about the in-house modding of the car though, big plus side, I'm sure I did read somewhere on here though that when the trophy sells out, the 200ts will be able to get a software update to improve the gearbox, I could be imagining this though (but again I dont find the gearbox a problem). Yeh the trophy was released a bit early I agree, it sort of rules out a facelift to some extent, they usually have the trophy as there last big upgrade to the car (megane 275, clio 182).

Fair enough if you've drove one, I guess your one of the old school hot hatch fans that gets referred to in a lot of these reviews! Im 23, open to something a bit new and am enjoying it, I did consider a megane but with my budget, id have ended up with an older car than what I've got now, yeah the power would have been nice, but for what I want I'm happy.

As to the gearbox in the megane? Dont know, they did release it 3 years earlier than the clio, perhaps they hadn't developed it fully, perhaps we'll see one in the next shape... If thats the route renault want to take. I dont think so though, I think they're probably aiming at having there main car a bit more hardcore, and the clio and twingo something in-between.

You say to the looks of it? Agree to you in some extent, this is the main reason I went for the yellow one, it stands out. But saying that, I dont think the Fiesta looks anything more special, bigger wheels, big front grill and a coloured rear diffuser, pretty much the same as what the clio got isn't it? Dont know what you mean about the interior though, its better than my 197s by a long way, the seats (I have leather mind) are very good in particular.

Again to Ford, they will do the same with an RS version of the car I would say, whoever has the ST is going to be outdated, do agree with you about the in-house modding of the car though, big plus side, I'm sure I did read somewhere on here though that when the trophy sells out, the 200ts will be able to get a software update to improve the gearbox, I could be imagining this though (but again I dont find the gearbox a problem). Yeh the trophy was released a bit early I agree, it sort of rules out a facelift to some extent, they usually have the trophy as there last big upgrade to the car (megane 275, clio 182).

I'm 48 years old so I guess the 200T represents something that might appeal to a different group of people. I'd sooner buy a 3 series BM or Audi if I need 4 doors. I'd sooner hot hatches be more focused and raw like 197/200.

Its the same issues for other marques too tbh. I know people hate the fact that BM moved away from NA to FI for their M cars. I just feel the Clio softened a little to make it more appealing to a wider group of people. Accountants and share holders have the biggest say in this financial climate than designers unfortunately. Who would have ever thought Porsche would make a 4x4 or diesel?

Nothing wrong with the Clio but it was just such a disappointment as doesn't have the 'I must own one of these' factor. Felt more like my wife should buy one of these as it would make a very good second family car.

I think Clio had to get the trophy out there cause the press generally thought the Fiesta was a better car. Speaks volumes that we have the basic, cup spec'd and now the trophy model when the Fiesta have not had to change a nut or bolt to their car.

Not convinced that the trophy will change anything cause its the principle of the car thats the underlining issue. We've not even mentioned the fact that its 4 doors. Just sticks 2 fingers up to Renaults own principles that made them number 1 in hot hatches for decades. For this reason I believe the car lost its credibility with many petrol heads and motoring press and this counts for a lot. Its like they 'sold out' a little. The 197/200 has it in bags and that's what gave the car longevity and respect. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had people with lot more expensive stuff shown interest in their car. Also even if people dont like Renaults, they have to respect the 197/200.

I appreciate though that 197/200 are cars that are a million miles away from whats required in a modern fast hatch. The 200T is perfect for that I guess.....

Last edited:
Not convinced that the trophy will change anything cause its the principle of the car thats the underlining issue. We've not even mentioned the fact that its 4 doors. Just sticks 2 fingers up to Renaults own principles that made them number 1 in hot hatches for decades. For this reason I believe the car lost its credibility with many petrol heads and motoring press and this counts for a lot. Its like they 'sold out' a little. The 197/200 has it in bags and that's what gave the car longevity and respect. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had people with lot more expensive stuff shown interest in their car. Also even if people dont like Renaults, they have to respect the 197/200.

I appreciate though that 197/200 are cars that are a million miles away from whats required in a modern fast hatch. The 200T is perfect for that I guess.....
+1

Problem is the 200T changed really 4 core things at once (manual to paddle, 3dr to 5dr, NA to Turbo, "raw" to "everyday"), I bet if they staggered it so they changed only 2 of those attributes for this model the public reception would have been much better. They could then bring about the other remaining 2 changes in the next model. Ideally at the same time the Twingo (growing in size as all new models do) could spiritually become what the 197/200 was (3dr, manual, NA etc), they would then cater for both the older market base and the new target audience they want.

but the box you can not change manually as fast

I think this is entierly missing the point though, it's not the outright speed, more that it's the perception of. Like you correctly say, a human won't shift a manual box as quick as even a 'slow' dual-clutch box, but at no point during the manual process are you left waiting for a response or action.