Clio's on Track.... what do you wear?!

interesting thought.... so why do we all think that a race suit is only for racing? when it serves a purpose of safety?

Or are we under the impression that due to it being a track day, there will be no big accidents that might call upon Nomex and its fire retardant powers?

Again, motorbikers wear full leathers on the road and thats no race event. Or is it a different case for them, as leathers is the only form of real protection on a bike.

oh and hopefully no ones thinks i am trying to preach or anything, its a long standing wonder as to why some do and some dont with regards to track day wear.

I think it's just personal perception of how we see a track day! I see it as a day to have fun on a track, but not be stupid and push or race anyone, I never pushed myself to go over my skill level and therefore never felt in danger!

Ill admit saying it looked silly was wrong, as you don't know what's going to happen! But I never felt at risk and thought I would need full race suit etc...

Not saying the car couldn't break or someone else could hit you, but that could happen any day of the week driving to work!

Just my 50 pence anyway! (Also didnt think you were being a dick, we are having a discussion at the end of the day)

A sleeved top, whatever I can find. A decent Bell helmet (not a bike one, a proper helmet for a closed cabin). That's it, I go to have fun. I do think fireproof gloves and no race suit is quite funny, only really needed if you have a suede wheel IMO.

I think fireproof gloves is a good idea.

If, IF your car caught fire and you got burnt as you got out, i'd say you could live with some burns on, say your arms or legs but burning your hands could be a big, big setback.

Look at when you cut a finger, you use your hands a lot, i'd sooner protect mine.

I use a car helmet, proper gloves, some old sparco boots and a sparco flame retardent long sleeved top.

I do have some old sparco by puma slim slip on shoes, these are the best shoe i've found for driving in in general, i'd love some more but can't find any (NLA) so i look a tramp in them as they are on their last legs, well my feet but i like them that much.

Someone in a suit on a trackday, i do mostly think they'd better be good or at least in a race car but the safety aspect is in their favor.

I think fireproof gloves is a good idea.

If, IF your car caught fire and you got burnt as you got out, i'd say you could live with some burns on, say your arms or legs but burning your hands could be a big, big setback.

Look at when you cut a finger, you use your hands a lot, i'd sooner protect mine.

I use a car helmet, proper gloves, some old sparco boots and a sparco flame retardent long sleeved top.

I do have some old sparco by puma slim slip on shoes, these are the best shoe i've found for driving in in general, i'd love some more but can't find any (NLA) so i look a tramp in them as they are on their last legs, well my feet but i like them that much.

Someone in a suit on a trackday, i do mostly think they'd better be good or at least in a race car but the safety aspect is in their favor.

TBH, you're in a car on fire that catches your arms etc on fire a pair of gloves aren't going to save you.

Fire proof top is probably a good idea.

If I had a car that was heavily fetled I would contemplate wearing a race suit. A friends car has caught on fire and that was scary!

TBH, you're in a car on fire that catches your arms etc on fire a pair of gloves aren't going to save you.

Fire proof top is probably a good idea.

If I had a car that was heavily fetled I would contemplate wearing a race suit. A friends car has caught on fire and that was scary!

So the fire proof top is ok but not the fireproof gloves?

Helmet
Long sleeve top
Jeans
Gloves ( did 20 odd track days before I brought them went to the ring with them and my god brilliant stop all the sweat and give a much better grip on the wheel but also allow smooth movement fact is most gloves are fireproof but I brought the ones I like that's it. To be fair gloves are one of the best things to enhance my track days the fact they are fire proof bothers me not )

Edit I don't wear helmet at the ring unless I am in something caged or open top or stripped

No comments from the glove police please :smile:

threecaroclose.jpg

Last edited:
Helmet
Long sleeve top
Jeans
Gloves ( did 20 odd track days before I brought them went to the ring with them and my god brilliant stop all the sweat and give a much better grip on the wheel but also allow smooth movement fact is most gloves are fireproof but I brought the ones I like that's it. To be fair gloves are one of the best things to enhance my track days the fact they are fire proof bothers me not )

Edit I don't wear helmet at the ring unless I am in something caged or open top or stripped

No comments from the glove police please :smile:

threecaroclose.jpg

Sweat, don't make me laugh. More like grease from all the schnitzel you handled