Clio rally car

Hello,

My first post here!

Having rallied for many years im looking at building a Clio 197 as a rally car. Ive seen one in projects, which is fantastic!
I was wondering if anyone had any info, no matter how small, that could help me?
I was thinking of something along the lines of the Clio R3 but without the 60k price tag :smile:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Rob

Hello Mr Goodcat

What do you need/want to know? Could be able to help as friend of mine used to run a 197 rally car for about 3 years, he built it from ground up so should no a bit , he's running a suberu now but still has few bits lying around, don't see him that often but when I do I could ask him some question for you.

Steve.

Hi Steve thanks for the reply. One of the things is what's ok in standard form and what I'll have to bin for rallying. Do and donts and any info on the R3. I've had a look on the renaultsport website and I can't log in so won't let me see anything. Parts lists, build specs that sort of thing.
I have heard that the R3 hubs could be off a kangoo van???

Thanks

Rob

Hello,

My first post here!

Having rallied for many years im looking at building a Clio 197 as a rally car. Ive seen one in projects, which is fantastic!
I was wondering if anyone had any info, no matter how small, that could help me?
I was thinking of something along the lines of the Clio R3 but without the 60k price tag :smile:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Rob

Ex Clio Cup cars have gone for under £16k with a few spares/wheels/tyres, or were from the team I had contact with a couple years back.

That way you have a good starting platform with the Sadev box and possibly just need to change the suspension setup to deal with non-slick tyres.

Obviously they tend to be getting rid of a few cars end of season.

Alright Rob,

Next time I catch up with Rich i'll ask him for you mate, could be a couple of days though don't see that often. Ok mate.

Ex Clio Cup cars have gone for under £16k with a few spares/wheels/tyres, or were from the team I had contact with a couple years back.

That way you have a good starting platform with the Sadev box and possibly just need to change the suspension setup to deal with non-slick tyres.

Obviously they tend to be getting rid of a few cars end of season.

Did see these for sale a while ago. Not seen any for sale now that id want one lol

Alright Rob,

Next time I catch up with Rich i'll ask him for you mate, could be a couple of days though don't see that often. Ok mate.

Thanks, great!

With lads I know who use a Sadev in rallying, they usually send them off for a rebuild at the end of the season. Which is the same as my old quaife dog box.
How different are the cup race cars to the R3 rally cars?

With lads I know who use a Sadev in rallying, they usually send them off for a rebuild at the end of the season. Which is the same as my old quaife dog box.
How different are the cup race cars to the R3 rally cars?

Oh right, maybe the information I've seen was slightly exaggerated as I've been told they were a bit more involved to maintain (rebuilds every few races or 6k miles).

Actually while writing that I found this: http://www.monster-sport-europe.com/motorsport/renault/top/PresentationClio_R3Maxi.pdf

At a guess this is referring to the Sadev:
Gearbox
General check 1000 km
Rebuilt 2000 km

:zomg:

Afraid I don't know what if any mechanical differences there are, though the suspension will be obviously different. The main thing will be the engine as the R3 is quoted at 250bhp@8400rpm and the Clio Cup cars are 210bhp@7300.

There will be loads of Clio cup cars up for sale come the end of this season what with the introduction of the 200T EDC

only works in explorer for me

That will be it! Bloody apple! :smile:

There will be loads of Clio cup cars up for sale come the end of this season what with the introduction of the 200T EDC

Think that may be the case. I know the market was flooded with the clio 182s when the 197s came out. Think most of them went to France as at the time the euro was pants compared to the pound.

Thanks

What type of rallying are you building it for? Tarmac, forestry or road rallying?

Which championship will you be competing in?

Be interesting to see how you get on. Seen a few over the years, never competed in a 197 myself...Mr Weaver may be a good bet to chat to. Runs some 182s on road events but knows his way around them pretty well.

Ta Hughsie