Clio 197 into a Clio group N gravel rally car

Hi, this is Themis, from Spain, an authentic enthusiast of my Clio RS197. Sorry for my English, I´ll try to do my best.

slalom-huesca.jpg

I compete in tarmac rallys now with an Opel Kadett and I did some gravel rallys with a VW Golf II, and now I'm ready to transform my Clio into a rally car.

I don´t have a big budget, but I´ll try to get the best group N rally car than I can. I´d like some advices from you, cause I know you have lots of knowledge about this car and track day Clios, so will be very helpfull.

First of all I´ve to undress it. I downloaded the manual that I found in this forum (thank you very much), and I´ll start next 6th of December. On the 20th I´ll get it to http://www.tms-sport.com/ for the complete rollcage. This guys make it from 0 and then you can homologate it with the FIA standards. The rollcage will be similar to this Sparco model, but for less than a half of the price.

Renault-Clio-III-00753060S.jpg

At the same time I´ll repair my gearbox, third gear allways gives me some problems when I drive fast, and I'll put a different final gear ratio, a 14/69 and a Bacci Romano discs LSD. I allready bought it for 1.400 euros, I think it´s a good price.

A ceramic clutch with springs, to be softer will also added. Do you have any suggestions?

After that I´ll buy all the interiors, Sparco seats and harnesses, etc. Nothing special, just some good quality/price relation items.

I´ll change my brake pads for a Ferodo DS3000 ones and will use AP Racing 600 liquid and metalic Goodridge lines.

Coilovers are my nightmare. There are too many options for less than 2500 euros, and I´m not sure about which ones are the best for my purpouse. KW Clubsport with top mounts? There are 2 different manufacturers here, Tecnoshock and Nadaltech that offer good options bassed in Bilstein coilovers, specifically configured for my car. Which one will you choose?

Then I'll think about the exhaust line and maybe a ECU upload, but I'm not sure if these things will be added now or in the future.

See you soon!!!

Last edited:
Thank you Proil for your post, it´s a good inspiration for mine.

I went with some of my friends to undress the interor of the car, I´ve started with the conversion. It was quite easy to get everythig out, except the heating and air condition that it´s still in the car. I have to decide if I take it out or not. I know a rally car doesn´t need the air condition, but maybe I´ll take it out later.

Now is ready to get to TMS-Sport where they will fit the roll cage.

IMG_6504.jpgIMG_6519.jpgIMG_6522.jpgIMG_6420.jpgIMG_6450.jpg

I forgot to weight it, but I think the car passport will be enough. I´ll do when I finish it, but I'm not worried about weight in this moment, just to have ready the car for the beggining of the season.

attachment.php

Are you putting that back in? i'm after a left hand drive dash.

I'm sorry but I'll need it. If you are looking for other things like seatbelts, airbags, other plastics or whatever, ask me.

I couldn't find anything in ebay, but if you look for "salpicadero clio" in milanuncios.com there are a few. I don't know the price, you can ask them.

I´ve got some news!!!

Now, the rolbar is fitted and painted, I´ll start putting everything on again!

Some pictures

DSC_0966.jpg DSC_0971.jpg IMG-20140126-WA0007.jpg IMG-20140126-WA0006.jpg IMG-20140126-WA0011.jpg