Clio overrated

They changed the ratios from 197 to 200, but I think in total there has been 4 gearboxes on these cars (197 upto 200).

It was the third gear synchro that was changed from a two piece to a one piece item, or vice versa from what I've read...

Agree with willis on the sympathy thing. Gearbox oil can take a while to heat up, way longer than the water which is what the dial n the dash shows. Personally, car needs to be running for 10 mins before exceeding 4000rpm and a good 15-20minutes before hearing the beep. If the car has been driven hard before the oil has had time to heat up and therefore lubricate then faults will occur.

I live basically a mile from the a47 I understand what you mean about frashing it but that's not me.... I'm very proud of my car and treat it with a lot if respect...(think that makes it more anoying

Could well be that the old pops who had the car before you only ever did two mile round trips to bingo. I'm pretty sure constant jerking and clunking like the usual pensioner drives combined with short distances won't have done it any favours. It does seem very early though at that mileage, give RUK a call or pop back to the dealership and kick up a fuss.

Thanks, does that mean a rebuilt gearbox or a latest new replacement one after a certain date has stronger internals or uprated synchros?

Buying a used 197/200 with a rebuilt box is not an issue if it was more dependable.

I would be surprised if renault just sticks the same weak replacement synchros back in a failed box. Maybe I shouldnt be surprised though:mellow:

Don't be surprised, I'm sure one member has experienced that with 2 gearboxes. Renault did, change the ratios from the 197 to the 200 then introduced a new gearbox sometime after the 200 was released. Fortunately I think I have the newer version.

So basically, its still just a lottery and renault have never confirmed a more robust internal modification or a decent fix for older failed gearboxes.

They will never say its a known issue, they add the revised snycro in the gearbox. So its not a new box.

Even on the official Renault Forum they always keep quiet when it comes to the "gearbox problem"

And each Renault Dealer is different, sometimes you find a good dealer that is willing to take the time and sort the problem out. Sometimes (mostly) they don't give a monkeys.

Hope you get it sorted mate.

Agree with willis on the sympathy thing. Gearbox oil can take a while to heat up, way longer than the water which is what the dial n the dash shows. Personally, car needs to be running for 10 mins before exceeding 4000rpm and a good 15-20minutes before hearing the beep. If the car has been driven hard before the oil has had time to heat up and therefore lubricate then faults will occur.

the lubrication of the gearbox is not like an engine...

as for the "renault gearbox oil" its like hydraulic fluid - very "thin" even when cold so the lubricant getting round the internals isnt really an issue as the majority sit in the stuff...

So basically, its still just a lottery and renault have never confirmed a more robust internal modification or a decent fix for older failed gearboxes.

the early 06 and 56 plate gearboxes dont seem that bad!

alot of 08 reg seems to go and the 200 on 09 and 10 plates...

i think renault may have done a "product improvement" that wasnt successful on certain batches of the tl4 box and this is probably one reason why they take sympathy on replacements/repairs out of warranty!

Haha I'm having difficulty slipping it in any hole... I'm so pissed off with it is it as easy as taking back and saying I don't want it... Don't know the rights when you gave a high purchess finance