Clio or megane R26 F1

So then pps whats the better car, Ive always loved the meg, they look so mean. Are MPG better and is servicing and running about the same,
Ive just done a insurance quote on 1 and its £90 cheaper than my clio

What do people think of the 2 cars
James

Had both, loved both, different beasts. 197 you really can chuck around and drive hard, r26 has the power and get up and go, easier to live with, down to what you want really?

As rocky states...similar fuel costs..more expensive tyre wise..but very tuneable!
Ive had both..still got the clio obviously..the r26 is a lot of car for the money now..8)
Get the meg..then get a 200 in a coupla years..enjoy both!

I've had both and recently thought about getting a 200 although i'm not sure now after i went out for a drive today lol.
Currently i'm managing around 32MPG but can reach 42MPG on the motorways doing 70mph
Tyres are around £200 a corner.
Mines running a K-Tec map at 270BHP and 300ibft of torque so it's got a bit of poke and with the LSD it's a nice combo.
I do miss the revvy clio engine, I guess the torque of my R26 makes up for it though.
If i'm ever near Cambridge again, I'll let you know and take you out for a spin :smile:.

yes please nick thatl be great, ill bring the camera as well

Do you replace the tyre as well with the standard ones, and is the servicing about the same

Megs great......it's a hard shout. If I drove the meg first might have bought one. Meg more grown up and a white R26 is superb. Problem is the clio for me is the best in its class but the r26 is potentially bettered by the golf GTI.

Last edited:
Clio, Clio, Clio I've owned both and would never part with Litchys favourite r26 :smile:
I also have a 182 that should be getting supercharged later in the year

But, I still want another 197

I've grown up been through the marriage settle down sheeite, but if you are starting out as a pup the meg is always gonna be easier to live with despite the higher running costs

I hope it's not the two fingered kind!!

I must say your 197 reminded me what I'm missing, how such a modern car can still feel so raw...

Hmm supercharger or another car on the driveway

I hope it's not the two fingered kind!!

I must say your 197 reminded me what I'm missing, how such a modern car can still feel so raw...

Hmm supercharger or another car on the driveway

Lol salutes with the utmost respect. Best of both worlds would be both!!!!!

Far toooo tempting, I'm looking at getting a buyer in very soon to transform the 182 (they are both tagging along at Oulton next week), then an albi or an rb could be finding its way onto my drive

Far toooo tempting, I'm looking at getting a buyer in very soon to transform the 182 (they are both tagging along at Oulton next week), then an albi or an rb could be finding its way onto my drive

I could make some room for your R26 in my garage!!!

Last edited:
Pmsl, I bet you could!!!

It wants the engine ripping out and rebuilding with forged internals, but the gf gets rather angry when I mention the dining room becoming a workshop for some reason, especially when a 182 engine is going in the same room

Right guys am i right in thinking a meg conversion is about 4k. Im looking at motors at the moment. It would have to be a white r26 and most colours of the clio par black. Just dont know what to do

You won't get the money back if you modify a Clio. Though Meganes ain't exactly holding their value either.

I'd Meg the Clio tbh.

I agree, I'd only have a R26 in white. Most expensive though in white. Very different cars, driven (but not owned) both. Wont go wrong with either. For me the meg conversion, you get the best of both worlds. The looks and chassis of the Clio, but the power of the Meg. The Meg Clio is double the torque of the 197/200 clio (stage 1 330lbft) ,which represents a lot on the road.

Last edited:
I've owned both and miss my R27 Clio more than the R26. It was a lot more fun and chuckable!

I now have an Edition 30 Golf and its a good all rounder but a bit dull. BMW 135i next for me.

You won't get the money back if you modify a Clio. Though Meganes ain't exactly holding their value either.

I'd Meg the Clio tbh.

looked at a few megnaes and prices arent that cheap! (well not the well cared for ones)

Had a 197 cup and an R26. Meg is a nice car and very fast with very little effort. The cornering speeds are obscene! Mine is like new, 40k on the clock and drives like it has 2k miles. However it cannot match Clio for outright fun. I loved the Clio and regret getting rid. A 200 cup is on my shopping list next. Running costs are about the same. I love the excitement of the high revving engine with the regular gear changes needed to extract the power. The handling is in another league too! I cannot wait to get back in another Clio. The best car I have ever had without a doubt!