Clio Campus 2007 plate - bonnet flew open

Hi newbie here. Have had my wee Clio since May 2010 and had a shocking experience a few weeks ago when the bonnet flew open whilst I was driving. I am a single parent and heard that this had been a problem highlighted by Watchdog and media. Was advised by trading standards to contact Renault ...at first very helpful sympathetic and offered to repair...now totally backtracked advised to contact insurers who say not covered. Where next? I have owned and driven renaults since the eighties - looks like Watchdog my next port of call

I know this was a problem on the Clio 2, there was a recall outstanding on the bonnet catches for a long time, but certainly not a known problem with the Clio 3. Who told you the problem was highlighted with Watchdog? What would you like Watchdog to do about it for you?

From my experience with Renault UK, they wouldn't offer a repair straight of the bat unless your car was in and looked at by a dealer first. Then the dealer relays the findings to Renault UK and a conclusion is drawn up at that point.

Yes its it's probably shaken you up etc, but the car is long out of warranty and Renault aren't obliged to offer help replace the mechanism (or other failed part) as who is to say it hasn't been tampered with at some point?

Mine is old style Clio ... Daughters bf told me about watchdog after incident ... First person at Renault customer services new in job told me they would sort. All complicated a recall letter was signed for by my ex 2013 never told me but Renault told me it was. The bonnet release was replaced last year using Renault part still under warranty - whilst I was in hospital - they can't find record. It more than shook me up luckily I was driving slowly on a country road and not motorway. Feel I am being passed from pillar to post

Spoke to Renault dealer before phoning customer services they told me to phone customer services. I was due to buy new Clio last year then hospitalised .. Bonnet release was replaced then when trying to sell as it wouldn't open. Think my options are limited to :-

speaking to local dealer
getting in touch watchdog
paying for new bonnet hinges etc and selling

lost confidence in car now and was hopefully going to change next year - just unfortunate that single parent health status etc working against this. The bonnet is jammed shut and I need to be able to access to fill screen wash etc - disappointed in insurers stance too

Is your car a Clio 2 or a Clio 3? A 2007 Clio to me is a Clio 3 which has never had a bonnet catch recall.

You say the bonnet catch was replaced last year under warranty? The car was 3 years out of warranty last year?

It all sounds a bit confusing to me. If the bonnet now won't open at all I think you only have one option to be honest and that is to pay to get it fixed.

Last edited:
The bonnet catch was replaced last year when it wouldn't open using Renault parts ..a recall for catch letter was sent by Renault in 2013 as a result of watchdog ...my ex signed for letter didn't tell me or show me letter..I only found this out speaking to Renault

i am am a single woman no mechanical knowledge can anyone give me more info on bonnet catch problem 2010 as my car fell into criteria.

You say you've owned Renaults since the 1980s. Would you have happened to own a Clio prior to this Clio in question?

Maybe one this shape;

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423324275.400990.jpg

IIRC they made a Clio 2 later on in the run called Campus - which is what the OP has. It has a different rear end to the normal Clio 2 shape. I think these were made/registered up to 2007/08.

IIRC they made a Clio 2 later on in the run called Campus - which is what the OP has. It has a different rear end to the normal Clio 2 shape. I think these were made/registered up to 2007/08.

^ this the mk2 clio went up 2008, all mk2 clio shapes had the recall due to the some cars having a faulty bonnet catch causing the bonnet to open when driving i remember my 2004 clio went in for the recall they greased the catch and tried pulling it to see if it would open.

my advice speak to Renault uk customer services and explain the situation , if the catch has been replaced once then surely this part is faulty and will still fall under the recall warranty and should be replaced or atleast checked free of charge.