Clio/BMW???

I do a lot of motorway driving due to being in the army. It would make sense for them to base me near my home town when I have a family, but that wasn't the case. I do love my clio but petrol from Dorset to York is far from cheap near enough each weekend. I've been looking at 120d's as a replacement, anyone know much about them? What they're like to drive etc... I was thinking of getting it re-mapped if I did come to buy it, can get 200+ out of then I've heard. Any help is much appreciated.

/.

Personally I don't think the BM is all that. It's just an overpriced Golf, much the same as the Audi A1. Nothing special at all.

As Jay says above look at the other German's and you'll get more bang for your buck.

I had a 143bhp 118d M Sport Coupe last year, bought it brand new and loved it tbh, only reason why I only had it for 8 months was because it had some sort of problem that BMW refused to fix (dealer not BMW UK) I'd have another one in the future... will be a 2 series though and would get a bigger engine like the 123d or 235i petrol, awesome cars with a lot of power.

Insurance was a bit less than my 200 and that was when I was 20.

You can touch 200bhp with a highly tuned map and dpf delete on the 118d.
Think you can get 220ish from the 120d as their 170 to start with if I remember?

Google EcoTune Scotland, probably the most popular people for the BMW's.

I'd defiantly recommend them though tbh. Do your research or timing belts if your getting a used or older one as I know they had a problem which was extortionate to fix as if I recall is at the very back of the engine and needs to be removed to get near it.

bury7ade.jpg

I had quite a nice spec to start with on mine, most things but the satnav.
In the 8 months I fitted Eibach springs, BMW performance carbon spoiler, grills. 4 carbon wrapped my interior trim which looked really good and was easy to do.

In fact every time I see this picture it makes me want to go and buy another one but as I said with a bigger engine, probably the 3l derv lol.

Last edited:
been a lot of issues with the timing chains on the bmw 2.0 diesels....do your homework

been a lot of issues with the timing chains on the bmw 2.0 diesels....do your homework

Yup, personally I'd avoid all 1 series between 2007 and 2009.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/features/bmw-chains-snap-n47-engine-2007-2009

2011 123d M Sport Coupe - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...rds/xenon 123d/radius/1501/make/bmw?logcode=p

Urban MPG - 44.1, Extra Urban - 65.7, £125 p/year tax....

Now with a maxitune map it will take it from 204bhp / 400nm to 285bhp / 530nm...

Last edited:
After the clio I got a Seat Leon 170tdi FR and I'm chuffed with it. Never misses a beat. Was getting 45mpg in Europe last week with it sat at 85 on a toll road down to paris. I've done brands in it with these guys and they will agree it was very good in the wet! Remap and DPF delete and can easily get 200bhp out of it. They handle great for what it is just need to drive a little different I've found (let the car find it's own grip and not try and keep it on the same line you would the clio)

Very comfy on long journeys as well. Couldn't rate them highly enough. Happy to meet you on a run out so you can have a look around. Also my best mates dad is a third owner of snows group so can always see if he knows of any good deals around :wink:

Thanks for all your help, like I said it is appreciated and I'd rather get your opinions first. Think I need to do a lot of homework before buying something new.

Stephen your 118d looks beautiful in that picture!

Mate works for BMW so I'm always in the cars, was in a brand new 2 series the other day with every option ticked, 8 speed flappy paddle box, M sport big brakes, xenons, nav etc etc etc. Was very very nice

Thanks for all your help, like I said it is appreciated and I'd rather get your opinions first. Think I need to do a lot of homework before buying something new.

Stephen your 118d looks beautiful in that picture!

Really makes me want another one haha.