Clio 197 Track/ Race Car Build

Update.

Another quick update to keep on top of things.

Loom was stripped back, tidying cabin as well as saving 1.7KG.
Loom then put back and binded tight with Tesa wiring harness fabric adhesive tape. Used circa 25-30metres.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Next up, exhaust system....

Exhaust system

I chose to go with the Genuine Factory Cup Racer X85 Exhaust - consisting of decat manifold, sport cat and cat back lightweight race.

image.jpg

Cat-back weighing only 6.8KG
image.jpg

Cat weighing only 4.65KG
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cup Racer Cat doesn't come with a lambda sensor so I cut a hole, chose a 45 degree M18 x 1.25mm 304 stainless boss and welded it just after the cells. New lambda sensor too.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The full system has since been installed & tested and reports are it is very loud, however combined with the race cat it feels very smooth unlike a full decat as before which felt rough. There is no noticeable flat spot any more.

Last edited:
I chose to go with the Genuine Factory Cup Racer X85 Exhaust - consisting of decat manifold, sport cat and cat back lightweight race.

image.jpg

Cat-back weighing only 6.8KG
image.jpg

Cat weighing only 4.65KG
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Cup Racer Cat doesn't come with a lambda sensor so I cut a hole, chose a 45 degree M18 x 1.25mm 304 stainless boss and welded it just after the cells. New lambda sensor too.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The full system has since been installed & tested and reports are it is very loud, however combined with the race cat it feels very smooth unlike a full decat as before which felt rough. There is no noticeable flat spot any more.

still waiting to hear mine eventually along with V6 airbox and Schricks (it already took 2 months for a wiring loom to be made from scratch but there is hope), Acrapovic EVO came off and lying on the shelf as a result.
Is Martijn the source of the parts? :wink:

Hi just had a look through the thread! Very impressive, I'm not going to the lengths you have but I am in the process of stripping my interior taking out the carpets, plastics etc my only problem so far is in the footwell once I remove the sound deadening is the depth you loose to the pedals I see in the pics above you have something there could I ask what they are and where you got them from?! Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi just had a look through the thread! Very impressive, I'm not going to the lengths you have but I am in the process of stripping my interior taking out the carpets, plastics etc my only problem so far is in the footwell once I remove the sound deadening is the depth you loose to the pedals I see in the pics above you have something there could I ask what they are and where you got them from?! Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, they are Carbon Fibre foot rests taken from the Clio R3.
You can get cheap similar ones in Alluminium on eBay or even carbon. Take a look.

WOW mate thats brilliant work it looks fantastic!
what you came up with at the end ?(car weight/ engine output)

Not finished the build yet. Are they ever finished thou?
Engine is standard currently with the aid of the R3 Carbon airbox. I am strong believer of saving weight where I can first before plowing into costs for engine upgrades that sees very little gains on a N/A engine.
Weight is unconfirmed as corner weighting is happening in the next 6-8weeks with suspension & kinematics.

Not finished the build yet. Are they ever finished thou?
Engine is standard currently with the aid of the R3 Carbon airbox. I am strong believer of saving weight where I can first before plowing into costs for engine upgrades that sees very little gains on a N/A engine.
Weight is unconfirmed as corner weighting is happening in the next 6-8weeks with suspension & kinematics.
I see.
What do you mean by corner weighting?

Its about static weight distribution. With a set of 4 scales (one for each wheel) you can set the weight distribution of each corner of the car to match. This creates a better balance and fine tunes the body and handling.

Just read through all of this, very impressive indeed with high attention to detail. I am still wondering what to do next with mine. I either want to strip it completely and make it a project, or sell it at the end of the season and simply get a faster track car. This is making me swing more to fully stripped out....

Did you notice much of a change in balance when you stripped the weight out of the back of the car? I found the car great fun as it is but wonder if it may become tail happy making the back end lighter....

Did you notice much of a change in balance when you stripped the weight out of the back of the car? I found the car great fun as it is but wonder if it may become tail happy making the back end lighter....
Thanks.
From removing the back seats I doubt you will feel any real difference in balance unless you are pushing the car and looking out for it.
On this occasion my Clio was already stripped when I bought it so can't comment on what it was like before.
It does however like to oversteer occasionally but that's mainly from lift off but the lack of weight at the rear will play a part in exaggerating it slightly.
Setting the cars weight transfer correctly and proportionally with coilovers allows to iron out any irregular weight in the wrong places.

Reactions: DS197
Thanks.
From removing the back seats I doubt you will feel any real difference in balance unless you are pushing the car and looking out for it.
On this occasion my Clio was already stripped when I bought it so can't comment on what it was like before.
It does however like to oversteer occasionally but that's mainly from lift off but the lack of weight at the rear will play a part in exaggerating it slightly.
Setting the cars weight transfer correctly and proportionally with coilovers allows to iron out any irregular weight in the wrong places.
Thanks for the info. I suspected stripping would also need some suspension tweets. I am going to enjoy mine as is for the season and have a think in the winter. Failed the mot o. A ball joint so that's first on the list...