Clio 197 F1 R27 decals

Thinking of removing the decals on a black R27. Has anyone done this before that could shed
some light in how it's done as I have no idea what I'm doing! Cheers!

I'd be a little careful removing ten year old stickers from a black car. Depending on how the paintwork has been looked after you may find there has been some sun fading over the years. Hopefully not, but when you remove the stickers you may find you'll have slightly different coloured sticker shaped patches on the car. A lot will depend on the paint type used to spray these Renaults, but I've seen it happen on some cars.

As for removal I'd suggest a kettle plugged in the garage, switch it on and when it's boiling use the steam on the edges of the decals. The steam will soften the glue and make the decals more flexible to peel off. At ten years old they may well be a little brittle now. Keep turning the kettle on repeatedly to keep the steam coming. The most important thing is to ensure you do it carefully and not to rush it. I'd use the kettle/steam method rather than a heat gun. A paint stripping heat gun is likely to be too fierce a heat. Good luck with it.

Dont!!!!

If you or the next owner want them back they are huge money.

Yep, there's that too. The car will no longer be original and could cost a lot of money to put it back to standard. Renault are also likely to stop making the stickers in the next few years too. The car is about ten years old isn't it? If so, then you'll really struggle to return it to original and have to rely on an after-market copy sticker solution. That's likely to be complicated.

I'd be a little careful removing ten year old stickers from a black car. Depending on how the paintwork has been looked after you may find there has been some sun fading over the years. Hopefully not, but when you remove the stickers you may find you'll have slightly different coloured sticker shaped patches on the car. A lot will depend on the paint type used to spray these Renaults, but I've seen it happen on some cars.

As for removal I'd suggest a kettle plugged in the garage, switch it on and when it's boiling use the steam on the edges of the decals. The steam will soften the glue and make the decals more flexible to peel off. At ten years old they may well be a little brittle now. Keep turning the kettle on repeatedly to keep the steam coming. The most important thing is to ensure you do it carefully and not to rush it. I'd use the kettle/steam method rather than a heat gun. A paint stripping heat gun is likely to be too fierce a heat. Good luck with it.

What is sun? I don't think I've ever seen that before!! I have access to a steamer cleaning machine so I think I could use that for it if a kettle would work. Would maybe keep the front and back but I hate the ones on the side.

What is sun? I don't think I've ever seen that before!!
The sun is a star that the earth orbits. I'm sure you have seen it before!
I bought an r27 purely because it had the spec I was looking for. Had considered removing the stickers, but have been told not too many times. They've since grown on me, plus you can't see them from inside the car!

I'm really deciding what to buy, seen a belter of a black R27, but I prefer the blue, even if it wasn't R27. Just very difficult finding a blue one in good condition where I stay.

The sun is a star that the earth orbits. I'm sure you have seen it before!
I bought an r27 purely because it had the spec I was looking for. Had considered removing the stickers, but have been told not too many times. They've since grown on me, plus you can't see them from inside the car!

Lol:smiley::smiley: too funny!

Is Renault the only place for the R27 decals ?? Mine came with the front and rear but no side ones or roof. I bought aftermarket side ones as they were only about £20 but don't look great, looked for OEM ones and cheapest i've seen is £115.78 per side and I dread to think how much the roof one is. Would really like OEM side and roof as I feel it's part of the car, any help would be appreciated!

Is Renault the only place for the R27 decals ?? Mine came with the front and rear but no side ones or roof. I bought aftermarket side ones as they were only about £20 but don't look great, looked for OEM ones and cheapest i've seen is £115.78 per side and I dread to think how much the roof one is. Would really like OEM side and roof as I feel it's part of the car, any help would be appreciated!

I believe Renault is the only place that does the decals, and they are dear! The roof one is £3-400 I think?? Something daft anyway. The aftermarket ones are readily available, but as you've said, they aren't a good match to the original ones.

[MENTION=51111]jimmyd81[/MENTION] I thought that would be the case, can't justify paying that like you say they are daft prices!! Money could go nearly pay for a new exhaust which I think i'll prioritize for now. Thanks anyway mate.