CLIO 197 CUP - Project TF

Yeah I was thinking the same to just go with JP half cage one,all ready to be fitted and they do many different colours,and it looks nice too with the gussets and harnesses bar, painting a cage is a bit of a pain even outside of the car lol

Reactions: Tarticmonkey
So this did turn out to be an omen.

Just to add to this. I have had to cancel my order with K-Tec, as they cannot guarantee a date for when they could deliver parts... despite claiming to have them in stock.

The guy on the phone has been extremely helpful and did quibble giving me a refund/ wanting to cancel.

Will order the parts from PURE when the monies land back in my account like I should have in the first place!

Lesson learned - do not order from K-Tec unless desperate.

In other news. Cages. What are peoples thoughts? If I am going for a Half cage do I off the shelf (I.E JP Cages) or get one bespoke and welded in? I would happily go custom as I can get a half cage done for the money it would cost to get a jp delivered but will need to paint it myself. I am planning to paint the interior regardless but it seems a faf.

What are peoples thoughts?
I have had similar experiences with Tegiwa recently. I ordered some brake lines for my Yaris in July when they said they would have stock within 10 days - they turned up 3 months later.

I attempted to order some PS4 tyres from them 2 weeks ago when their site said that they would have stock within 3 to 10 days. I e-mailed them today and they accepted they they were not going to get any stock of PS4s in the near future.

We have got a bolt in JP Cages half cage. The cage was a pain in the ass to fit in to both shells that we had as it was wonky. We got the cage second hand but the person we got it from had no issues with their installation..

That’s really interesting regarding Tegiwa being like that. As I’ll admit I’ve had minimal dealings with them but they outwardly appear to be a good company to deal with. Did they ever explain what the delay in getting lines to you was caused by? As to my knowledge any company that sells HEL lines just makes them themselves with HEL bits to order. So it seems weird to have that delay.

That’s interesting re the cage. Only thing I could think would do that is crap manufacturing jigs or being overzealous with ratchet straps when removing / fitting the cage. Steel shouldn’t go walking and change shape on its own.

The brake lines were Goodridge. They weee silent for a long time. When I asked what the delay was they said they had expected a delivery, then said it was a Royal Mail issue - it did not really explain why it took three months. I had ordered them super early as I intended to fit them for a track day at Brands Hatch and then just gave up. They are still sitting on a shelf and will be in stalled over the winter.

After two poor experiences with Tegiwa I will shop elsewhere. I might have just had bad luck but any firm that is prepared to take my money when they are not in a realistic position to deliver the goods I want makes me feel uneasy about dealing with them. I get that they are a business and would prefer to sit on the cash for cash flow reasons. On both occasions I knew that they did not have stock but relied on their delivery estimate of 3 to 10 days. I would rather they say they are out of stock and let me get an e-mail alert when they are back in stock. I have nothing against Tegiwa but if I can find another supplier that I have more confidence in then I will shop elsewhere.

The wonky JP cage is odd. It took a few big ratchet straps to get it in both shells but once it is in it did not move. The situation was made easier when we removed the seat belts so the loop of the cage did not touch the seat belt guide on the b pillar.

Have you thought about going for a full weld in cage - do it once and do it right?

I have an SW Motorsports half cage in mine, other than the fitting kit arriving 2 days after the cage I've had no issues, went straight in without the need for ratchet straps or anything like that.

If I was to do it again however I'd probably go minimum of a bolt in full cage. If you're getting a half cage welded in you might as well go a bit further and go full cage. I've been chatting to Fulcrum Cages and his bolt in full cage, fully fitted with the foot mounts welded in came to a shade under 2 grand.

Interesting that the lines were Goodridge rather than Hel. @burrellbloke

I do think I’ve been spoiled with Orranje in the mini world. That is a company that was founded by people who care about the cars they supply parts for and everything they sell is off the shelf and will be with you within 2 days and if it’s not you’ll have an email explaining why.

I have thought about a full cage but my objection to that is that the car is still going to be driven on the road and don’t want to concuss myself which I’m liable to do as I’m clumsy.

For my own sanity I have managed to procure a beam strengthening kit via Kam Racing that will hopefully be delivered this week.

Beam is currently at the fabricators awaiting parts arriving.

I also picked up my £25 mani after having it's flexi replaced. Now can I actually be arsed to fit this to the car over winter?

Mani.jpg

The Clio now has a house. 4DAF9F12-A541-4A85-8F89-D12A0961A79E.jpeg

Project garage upgrade loading….. first job is get rid of the ghetto garage door.

On the clio front.

Gaz golds ordered
Blackline diff ordered. Might love to regret this and get a gripper instead but time will tell. But getting 15% off from ktec swung this tight yorkshire man.
Powerflex bushes throughout
Booked in for a cage

Why not? I thought it was a good alternative to the crank pulley without possibly upsetting any balance and getting a more responsive engine

Complete waste of time dude. The gains (if you can call them that) are so small, it just ain’t worth the coin.
I always say you’re best to put the money saved from a flywheel into getting the best diff you can afford.

Has anyone seen that K-Tec have done their own synchros for the clio box?

My gut reaction is telling me avoid if I'm honest or at least avoid until someone else has found out if they're crap or not!

Has anyone seen that K-Tec have done their own synchros for the clio box?

My gut reaction is telling me avoid if I'm honest or at least avoid until someone else has found out if they're crap or not!

I'd seen it on their social media.

Think they've seen a gap in the market with the Renault ones hard to get hold of.

My main concern would be that it doesn't look like they've done any long term testing on them, they've just produced and marketed them as quick as possible, meaning the 'real world' testing will be done by the customers

They’ll be alright I suspect.

It’s no different to buying them from Renault or anywhere else. They’ll buy them in from a manufacturer in certain of it.

They’ll be alright I suspect.

It’s no different to buying them from Renault or anywhere else. They’ll buy them in from a manufacturer in certain of it.
It’s a point I didn’t think of that they’ll be bought in.

It’d be interesting to know if they’re U.K. manufactured.

I think I saw an Instagram story where they had a Solidworks-esque screenshot of one, so maybe theyve drawn up their own file. Either way Renault set the bar pretty low with them lol