Clicking/ Tapping When Releasing the Clutch

Makaveli160

Paid Member
With the engine on, when releasing the clutch, at the biting point almost, with the car stationary i can hear a very distinct clicking tapping metal on metal type of sound. If i release my foot off the clutch quickly it will do this everytime. One sound not continuous.

I can also hear this when at bite point and releasing the clutch for example going from 1st to reverse to park.

Only noticed it the last month or so after having the brakes serviced, fluid changed and gearbox oil changed.

The clutch squeaked for ages after aswell but thats stopped.

I've heard clutch release bearing maybe??

Any ideas

Cheers

Not sure if its related but im also getting a constant rattling/ grinding in motion if i accelerate then let off the throttle.

Gearbox?

Release bearing I think

Would a new clutch kit come with one of these release bearings??

I take it (from googling) the gearbox has to come off to sort this, so having the clutch done at the same time is a no brainer?

i take it this would be a 5hour + job??

I get this noise aswell. Anyone know what it is? It's a strange noise to describe.

It is a hard noise to describe, mine is much more evident when driving next to something or when im in a multi storey carpark as the sound comes back more.

Whereas driving on the open road after a certain speed i cant hear mine??

Mine when i let off the throttle sounds slightly metalic and crunchy almost a constant 'ka ka ka ka' if that makes sense.

Almost sounds as though bits of metal are flying around inside the gearbox - hopefully not!!

Last edited:
mine does it....done it for years....

I think its more to do with the gearbox input shaft - when the clutch pedal is down the internals don't spin until the clutch comes up - this can result in the sort of a faint click/clank noise as the gearbox internals start turning again...

I wont be doing anything to it until it needs changing clutch wise

Last edited:
mine does it....done it for years....

I think its more to do with the gearbox input shaft - when the clutch pedal is down the internals don't spin until the clutch comes up - this
can result in the sort of a faint click/clank noise as the gearbox internals start turning again...

I wont be doing anything to it until it needs changing clutch wise

Mine doesnt click faint when the clutch is down, mine clicks/ taps very distinctively, quite loudly when the clutch pedal is released.

If i put my foot on the clutch and the release my foot off the clutch it will tap/ click. It will do this everytime i release my foot. it also seems the more severe i release my foot the more evident the noise.

Very strange, as above its only started doing this in the last month or so after i had the brake fluid and gearbox oil changed.

Mine doesnt click faint when the clutch is down, mine clicks/ taps very distinctively, quite loudly when the clutch pedal is released.

If i put my foot on the clutch and the release my foot off the clutch it will tap/ click. It will do this everytime i release my foot. it also seems the more severe i release my foot the more evident the noise.

Very strange, as above its only started doing this in the last month or so after i had the brake fluid and gearbox oil changed.

yes that what mines does...99% sure its gearbox internals stopping and starting turning

yes that what mines does...99% sure its gearbox internals stopping and starting turning

Your explaination does make sense, but i have owned the car for 3 years and never heard the noise (and it isnt a noise you can really miss).

But now i can hear the noise, surely something has worn or changed??

What sort of symptoms would you get from a faulty slave cyclinder or master cylinder, is this a matter of the clutch staying depressed due to the loss of pressure etc

im wondering if the clutch is on its way out aswell, which makes me think i might aswell get what needs doing at the same time if it needs doing.

Thanks

Your explaination does make sense, but i have owned the car for 3 years and never heard the noise (and it isnt a noise you can really miss).

But now i can hear the noise, surely something has worn or changed??

What sort of symptoms would you get from a faulty slave cyclinder or master cylinder, is this a matter of the clutch staying depressed due to the loss of pressure etc

im wondering if the clutch is on its way out aswell, which makes me think i might aswell get what needs doing at the same time if it needs doing.

Thanks

slave cylinder wear is usually noise when pressed and a vibration through the pedal when pressed due to the bearing breaking up and can also be difficult to get gears

hydraulics going you usually get a soft pedal and loose some pedal travel and its difficult to select gears from a standstill but once moving you can change gear

I wouldn't rush in to fitting parts - theres no sign of clutch fault and you could fit a new one and still have the noise from the gearbox which I think it is...but its your car and money

slave cylinder wear is usually noise when pressed and a vibration through the pedal when pressed due to the bearing breaking up and can also be difficult to get gears

hydraulics going you usually get a soft pedal and loose some pedal travel and its difficult to select gears from a standstill but once moving you can change gear

I wouldn't rush in to fitting parts - theres no sign of clutch fault and you could fit a new one and still have the noise from the gearbox which I think it is...but its your car and money

Thanks for the explainations.

Im in no rush to pay for things that dont need paying for, thats for sure.

Just as of late theres a few things that dont feel the same as they used to with the car.

May take it to get a few things looked at.

Appreciate the help.

My old 197 used rattle while coasting, just the internals moving about whikst not underload. Thicker gearbox oil may quieten it down abit, you think?