Claiming on insurance

As montana says, be wary of the accident management company. At the end of the day, it is your insurance policy and any decisions made will affect you directly and not the AM company or garage. Think of what is best for you.

I hope you have mounds of evidence for this because your insurance company will want to see a police report for the time and date of the accident, they won't believe a word you say otherwise, especially if the other person you claim you were involved in denies it all.

It's UK law about notifying your insurance company, especially if someone else is injured. You then have to notify the police and your insurers.

"Within your policy it is 100 % certain that you are required to inform your insurance company within a reasonable time after suffering a car crash. If you do not do this, your policy is in danger of becoming invalidated. It is therefore important to notify your insurance company as soon as possible. If you fail to do so, you risk not being covered if a claim is made against you both in this instance AND in the future."
http://www.legalrequestsolutions.co...-notify-your-insurance-company-after-a-crash/

"Do I Need to Tell my Insurance Company?
Yes. You should always inform your insurance policy of any incidents involving your vehicle. Failure to do so can invalidate your existing policy, regardless of who was to blame for the incident."
http://www.trafficaccidentadvice.co...law-if-you-are-the-driver-in-an-accident.html

You are legally allowed to notify your insurers only, in writing, mentioning the crash but making it clear that it is INFORMATION ONLY and you do not wish to pursue a claim. They NEED to know though.

"However, you do have to inform your insurer if you've been in an accident. You should send your insurer a letter telling them what's happened.
But make it crystal clear that this is for ‘information only’ and that you don’t wish to make a claim."

Last edited:
I hope you have mounds of evidence for this because your insurance company will want to see a police report for the time and date of the accident, they won't believe a word you say otherwise, especially if the other person you claim you were involved in denies it all.

It's UK law about notifying your insurance company, especially if someone else is injured. You then have to notify the police and your insurers.

"Within your policy it is 100 % certain that you are required to inform your insurance company within a reasonable time after suffering a car crash. If you do not do this, your policy is in danger of becoming invalidated. It is therefore important to notify your insurance company as soon as possible. If you fail to do so, you risk not being covered if a claim is made against you both in this instance AND in the future."
http://www.legalrequestsolutions.co...-notify-your-insurance-company-after-a-crash/

"Do I Need to Tell my Insurance Company?
Yes. You should always inform your insurance policy of any incidents involving your vehicle. Failure to do so can invalidate your existing policy, regardless of who was to blame for the incident."
http://www.trafficaccidentadvice.co...law-if-you-are-the-driver-in-an-accident.html

You are legally allowed to notify your insurers only, in writing, mentioning the crash but making it clear that it is INFORMATION ONLY and you do not wish to pursue a claim. They NEED to know though.

"However, you do have to inform your insurer if you've been in an accident. You should send your insurer a letter telling them what's happened.
But make it crystal clear that this is for ‘information only’ and that you don’t wish to make a claim."

Hi thanks for the information :smile: its all sorted now and will be going in so get sprayed! :smile:

Oh dear nightmare hope there's not too much damage! Now you said car park which is alarm bell city for a start! Not many people realise that off the public road your insurance is worthless !! It's done by gentleman's agreement normally. ie knock for knock or you might get lucky but the insurance company is very unlikely to proceed as it's on private land! So either you could take the cash and forget all about it or pursue the claim as criminal damage through the civil courts. A nightmare I can tell you. What you might have is a legal policy attached to your insurance this is a separate bolt on insurance in case of a non insured driver they payout and then you get the cash . I'm in dispute with a Romanian driver when I was crashed into in west Sussex !! That was a year and half ago !! The insurance company were so s**t it's been unreal ! anyway good luck, make sure that any money transaction is properly receipted copied and signed by both parties as 'Full and final payment'. She could end up taking you to court for hitting her car !!!

Cheers , Dave

Oh dear nightmare hope there's not too much damage! Now you said car park which is alarm bell city for a start! Not many people realise that off the public road your insurance is worthless !! It's done by gentleman's agreement normally. ie knock for knock or you might get lucky but the insurance company is very unlikely to proceed as it's on private land! So either you could take the cash and forget all about it or pursue the claim as criminal damage through the civil courts. A nightmare I can tell you. What you might have is a legal policy attached to your insurance this is a separate bolt on insurance in case of a non insured driver they payout and then you get the cash . I'm in dispute with a Romanian driver when I was crashed into in west Sussex !! That was a year and half ago !! The insurance company were so s**t it's been unreal ! anyway good luck, make sure that any money transaction is properly receipted copied and signed by both parties as 'Full and final payment'. She could end up taking you to court for hitting her car !!!

Cheers , Dave

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your advice

just been informed that they have paid the garage now! :smile: £200 paid for my bumper to be sprayed! insurance is not going ahead.

I was going to go through another "Non fault claims" and they wanted to accept it but i told them that I wont be proceeding as the other party wants to now pay haha. after seeing their excess its the right thing for them to do is just cough up the money!

Thanks

Similar Thread Suggestions