Claiming on insurance

Hi guys.

last Sunday a woman in a over sized vehicle to her mentality revered into me and caused damage to my front bumper.

she was about to drive off untill i beeped at her and she realised I was in the car! (I was parked in a parking space in a carpark).

she got out and immediately held her hands up saying it was all her fault and would not like to go through the insurance. like wise for me I would like to be paid cash and to settle this.

I have had quotes done and the damage comes to £200 she is willing to pay half but not the full amount. and would rather the insurance gets involved.

A friend of mine has the same problem as a lady drove in to him and he said he claimed on her and it didnt affect him at all. but others say It will affect me when i come to renew!

Has any one been in this situation where they hold there hands up and want to go through insurance and does it affect me? her? (obviously will do) or both?

Thanks in advanced Need to know soon as times ticking and she has been messing me about.

If you are claiming through her insurance and she is at fault it shouldn't affect your policy no claims etc your not claiming through your insurance.

If you are claiming through her insurance and she is at fault it shouldn't affect your policy no claims etc your not claiming through your insurance.

that what I have been told as my insurance wont be used. Its just some people said even if I was not at fault my insurance will go up slightly.

some say it will some say it wont

it should not affect your insurance..she reversed into you so the blame is on her side...shame she wouldnt pay the whole amount...

I don't see why it will be any more why the sudden change of plan to go through the insurance from her part ??

She claims that we are all trying to make ends meet and that she thinks its best we went through our insurance companies. thats what she said but she has been saying all along that she wants to settle cash.
her excess will be alot more than £200 anyway.

My mates didn't go up either. Stuff her, go through insurance, stupid bint[emoji12]

haha think i will do tbh just waiting to hear back from a mate of mine that works in a local garage he said it shouldn't do either as he deals with insurance claims.

it should not affect your insurance..she reversed into you so the blame is on her side...shame she wouldnt pay the whole amount...

she wont pay because the bumper had some clear coat peeling off on the lower lip anyway which didnt bother me as i was going to replace the bumper anyway.. but she said I should get touch up pens and sort what she caused! all body shops say that they cannot touch up they need to spray the full bumper..

You won't lose your No Claims Bonus/Discount if the woman accepts responsibility. You might see a slight increase in your renewal premium though, because you have made a claim on your policy. Of course it won't be the same kind of increase if it had been your fault, however there is a chance you'll see a slight rise.

thats not the point here mate..she damaged your bumper that wouldn have been damaged without her driving into you..is it cracked??or is it just scratched??

You won't lose your No Claims Bonus/Discount if the woman accepts responsibility. You might see a slight increase in your renewal premium though, because you have made a claim on your policy. Of course it won't be the same kind of increase if it had been your fault, however there is a chance you'll see a slight rise.

this is what I have heard.
insurance companies don't deal with things fairly! I was thinking about leaving the damage but everyone is saying get it claimed. I just dont want the hassle, stress and the annoyance next year when I come to renew!

Honestly my mates premiums weren't affected. Unsure then ring your company up, it won't make a difference enquiring about it.

thats not the point here mate..she damaged your bumper that wouldn have been damaged without her driving into you..is it cracked??or is it just scratched??

Its all scratched to the black plastic. I told her the paint on the lower half didnt bother me and I wasnt going to sort it out but i do now because of her!

this is what I have heard.
insurance companies don't deal with things fairly! I was thinking about leaving the damage but everyone is saying get it claimed. I just dont want the hassle, stress and the annoyance next year when I come to renew!

Its all scratched to the black plastic. I told her the paint on the lower half didnt bother me and I wasnt going to sort it out but i do now because of her!

It is entirely up to you what you do: If you want it repairing and putting right, then claim on your insurance - after all, that's why we have it and why we pay our premiums :smile: there's no guarantee that your renewal will go up, but be prepared that it might. Shell's suggestion to ring the insurers and ask the question is a decent one.

be more than £200 when the insurers get involved...hire car and things!

she did the damage so should either cough up or claim against her - be careful though she did try to drive off so is in effect a dishonest person...

be more than £200 when the insurers get involved...hire car and things!

she did the damage so should either cough up or claim against her - be careful though she did try to drive off so is in effect a dishonest person...

She thought the car was empty and hit it then drove about 3-4 meters then I beeped and she got out. I took pics of her car and her plate and my car ect.

stupid women
but to be honest tho mate i would avoid the insurance route as it would show up on your cars history showing its been in an accident and it would knock more off the value of the car than £200, As much as it would wind me up if it happened to my car i would rather take the hit and repair it myself and let it go than involve the insurance.

Hi mate, this is just my advice based on what's happened to me in the past.

If you report it to your insurance, It will likely still go against you as a "non fault claim". You will be deemed as "accident prone" and this will raise your premiums slightly(not much).

I had someone hit my car whilst parked in sainsburys in 2012. I wasn't even in the car, luckily a passer by caught the culprit before they drove off. The claim has only just been removed from my policy this April and I'm glad as it did raise my insurance slightly. Other insurance company's might differ but I doubt it.

If she's gonna pay up then great, but get it sorted ASAP. (Get a quotation tomorrow, it doesn't matter where you go just get one and get her to pay up this weekend latest) You don't wanna leave it too long if you do end up reporting the accident to your insurance. I assume you got lots of photos as evidence.

Last edited:

Similar Thread Suggestions