Changing springs to H&Rs - HELP

Morning all!

I have a set of H&R lowering springs for my 197 that have sat in the shed for the last 8/9 months, and have finally decided to attempt to fit them.

I wasn't going to change anything other than the springs, is this ok? The car has just ticked over 40,000 miles and is a '56, so 6 years old ish (non-cup). In an ideal world I would change the dampers, but with it in the back of my mind that I may sell up within 6 months time, I wanted to keep expense to a minimum.

So would this be ok, and would the H&Rs be ok with the OEM non-cup dampers/setup?

Cheers :smile:

Josh

Morning all!

I have a set of H&R lowering springs for my 197 that have sat in the shed for the last 8/9 months, and have finally decided to attempt to fit them.

I wasn't going to change anything other than the springs, is this ok? The car has just ticked over 40,000 miles and is a '56, so 6 years old ish (non-cup). In an ideal world I would change the dampers, but with it in the back of my mind that I may sell up within 6 months time, I wanted to keep expense to a minimum.

So would this be ok, and would the H&Rs be ok with the OEM non-cup dampers/setup?

Josh

I have H&R's 40mm on stock dampers, (non cup).
I have done over 40.000km with them, and they are just fine.
Car handles much better, and looks much better.
Go for it :smile:

Morning all!

Josh

They'll be fine buddy and make the stance much better! But if you decide you don't like them, well im in the market :wink:

They'll be fine buddy and make the stance much better! But if you decide you don't like them, well im in the market :wink:

Haha I very nearly put an ad on here to sell them, and saw you were in the market for some, but decided while I'm doing new rear discs this weekend that I will fit them. You never know, these along with the sprintbooster I ordered may make me want to keep the 197 for longer :wink:

Did you get a sprintbooster in the group buy mate? Its so epic hahaaaa. My hunt for the springs goes on then, how come you've got new rear discs? Done the front ones recently?

Did you get a sprintbooster in the group buy mate? Its so epic hahaaaa. My hunt for the springs goes on then, how come you've got new rear discs? Done the front ones recently?

Yeh I got one of the very last ones, so will be fitting that at the weekend too! :smile: I'm hoping it will make me want to keep the clio more; I've always disliked the low down response/torque of the Clio, so my next car will either be an R26 (90% sure) or a Leon Cupra K1. I've not had turbo yet, so there is a niggle for that too, hence the 2 options above (I've considered the old Audi S3 225's, 350z w/GT pack, Astra VXR, etc etc but they didn't really tick most of the boxes for me). In an ideal world I would keep it but I can't afford to run 2 cars at the mo.

The rear discs are in desperate need of doing; they had a little bit of life left when I did the Fronts and the Braided lines all round last year, so I left them.

Last edited: