Help! Changing front springs

So my H&R's came in the post earlier this week.

Got my back ones on no problem, but tried for a good 4-5 hours on the front and cannot change them. Am not the best with cars but have managed to change springs on the past cars but just can't for the life of me change the front on my 197 haha.

Would anyone in the Aberdeen/shire be willing to fit these for me?

Pennies obviously included :smile:

What are you struggling with? Getting the actual shocks out? Try with 2 clamps, clamping the springs very tight, and push the 'lower arm links down' you will need to remove the stabaliser link to do this fully. Once pushed down, you will be able to wiggle the shock out. Make sure top mounts are undone too. Just try a bit of muscle and hard wiggling to get them out!

if your struggling to do it...then you shouldnt really be doing the job....

theres various ways to do the fronts

if you did a search first there is a "how to"....

What are you struggling with? Getting the actual shocks out? Try with 2 clamps, clamping the springs very tight, and push the 'lower arm links down' you will need to remove the stabaliser link to do this fully. Once pushed down, you will be able to wiggle the shock out. Make sure top mounts are undone too. Just try a bit of muscle and hard wiggling to get them out!

Yeah was getting the shocks out I was struggling with. I'll give it a bash again the morn. Cheers :thumbup1:

Best way, but needs two people for parts of the procedure.

1. Put the car on axle stands.
2. Undo: clamp that holds brake line to upright (torx), tie rod ends and ABS cable clamp, nut that holds the wishbone to the upright, ARB link, the nut on the bolt that clamps the upright to the shock body (leave the bolt in place).
3. have a box of the right size ready to place the upright assembly on once removed from shock body. This must be sturdy enough to take the weight of the brakes and uprgight (quite heavy), and high enough so that the entire assembly can rest on it without straining the ABS cable or brake line.
4. Pus the lower wishbone balljoint out of upright (be carefull not to damage the threads if you need to knock it out using a dead-blow/plastic hammer). Using a tie down strap strap the tip of the wishbone to the bottom of the axle stand (creating a triangle when seen from the front). Pull it down just far enough to make room to drop the upright from the shock body. Do not pull further than absolutely necessary as this may damage the rubber bushes.
5. Remove the bolt from the upright and get a friend to help you to carefully wiggle the upright to lower it off the shock body. Take care not to damage the rubber boot on the wishbone ball joint.
6. Place the upright/brake assembly on the box you prepared in advance. Be carefull not to damage brake lines and ABS cables.
7. Undo the 3. bolts holding the top mount and remove the shock absorber and spring.