Car wont start help and toyo manifold questions

Some of you may have noticed in the manifold price check thread I have just replaced my OEM manifold for a toyosport manifold after mine failed.

They have put the manifold onto the car..... and now it wont start.
I've just popped in after work and the steering wheel will lock but not every time and when it does on pressing the start button all you get is a very very quiet whirr for a few seconds. I have a feeling it's a battery/immobiliser issue. The door locks are very quiet and lights are dim. It was also throwing up a electrical fault on the dashboard every now and then.
They have had the battery off & on a few times.

Regards the manifold, they are saying it's sitting very close to the starter. So much so they have removed some type of shielding?? around the starter to allow some room. Has anyone else with the toyosport manifold come across this issue?

Regards the non start issue, anyone know a auto electrician in the Wakefield area that can be trusted, 'their' guy can't get there until monday/tuesday and charges £60 an hour (I've been told to expect a £120 bill at least from him):001_unsure::'(

Bet they have arc'd the starter if they fitted/removed the manifold with out disconnecting the battery with the heat shield being metal a slight nock and it will spark arc the main power wire against the starter or engine possibly blowing it the whiring probably is the starter turning but the solonoid is not engaging and pushing the turning gear into the ringgear I have the toyosport manifold and it does sit close to the starter but I can get the heat shield on its no closer than the original was tbh the dim lights to me suggests the starter wire going to earth. If the battery's good

Last edited:
I did suggest that...but got quickly shouted down by one of the knuckle draggers about them trying it with a booster pack.
I asked them to stick in on charge overnight, as whats the worst it could do.

Why should you be paying anyway? I assume it was running when it went in, so it's there responsibility. If they broke it, they fix it at their cost!

They are trying to blame the exhaust I think, saying that due to it being so close it's causing issues.
Got an independent auto electrician looking at it tomorrow.
Wont be using these cowboys again. Why is it so darned hard to find a decent garage.

Easy to say where it should have gone, sooooo

Should have gone to Brian leightons.

Personally it should be down to them to sort, they took the work on and fooked it up.

I'd ring citizens advice

Bet they have arc'd the starter if they fitted/removed the manifold with out disconnecting the battery with the heat shield being metal a slight nock and it will spark arc the main power wire against the starter or engine possibly blowing it the whiring probably is the starter turning but the solonoid is not engaging and pushing the turning gear into the ringgear I have the toyosport manifold and it does sit close to the starter but I can get the heat shield on its no closer than the original was tbh the dim lights to me suggests the starter wire going to earth. If the battery's good

What could this possibly lead to?
Having had an indy auto electrician look at it today this seems to have been the issue.
They are trying to blame the 'spurious' manifold and stating because its tight to the starter its caused an issue.

Going round in circles until monday/tuesday when their 'trusted' guy can have a look.
Either way, I'm furious. I'm glad I didn't pop over after work. I've had spend the night in the cells due to my actions...

When the new manifold is bolted up does it touch the starter? If it doesn't it can't be the manifold causing the the problem . if not they have caused this issue by not disconnecting the battery while fitting/ removal of the manifold so to me it's down to them as you should allways disconect the battery when working around the electrical system

it it could have caused various issues blown a cell in the battery,blown the starter, fried the ecu or simply popped a fuse the techs need to start with the basics test battery check all fuse's see what fault codes the vehicle has and take it from there

Last edited:
could the arcing only happen if they installed the manifold while the battery was still hooked up? or could their be residual power in the starter even if they had indeed disconnected the battery?

could the arcing only happen if they installed the manifold while the battery was still hooked up? or could their be residual power in the starter even if they had indeed disconnected the battery?

only happens when the battery IS connected....your car went in running/working...it should come out of the garage in the same condition
irrespective of the "manifold" being close to the starter!!!!!

The standard manifold is close to the starter motor and you should disconnect the battery for this reason.

I can 100% find out on tuesday if it is a Renault procedure or not if it helps.

The standard manifold is close to the starter motor and you should disconnect the battery for this reason.

I can 100% find out on tuesday if it is a Renault procedure or not if it helps.

That would help massively, any ammo I can throw at them will help.

doesn't have to be a "Renault" thing its a basic requirement when doing such a job.....

indeed but i guess it will show they haven't followed set guidelines.

Lump i'll chase it up tuesday when Carl is back in at work.

Hmm my car won't start now but I've had the manifold on for about a month. Hopefully it isn't linked and is just one of those things.

I just wondered if it was passing excess heat onto the starter motor and overheating it like the older clios suffered.
Turns out my fuel pump packed in.

Just had a call. Car now working fine. I'm not 100% ATM as to what the issue was but it something in the electrics. I'm happy it wasn't a fried ECU or starter.