Car starts fine but won't move

Hi all. Think I've buggered something up, was measuring how much I'd need to cut off a samco hose for maxogen fitting, stuck the maxogen down the back to line it up to where it would sit but think it hit the bell housing as it got stuck, measured up and took it out and went back in house. Little while later went to go out, starts fine selects gear but won't move. Does anybody have any ideas, not sure if I may have dislodged clutch cable when i was faffing.

Have you burst the hose for the slave cylinder? My maxogen sits about 20mm above the hose maybe even crushed it as I think it's aluminium :/ I think you can see the clutch hoses from the top maybe some pictures might help :smile:

Have you burst the hose for the slave cylinder? My maxogen sits about 20mm above the hose maybe even crushed it as I think it's aluminium :/ I think you can see the clutch hoses from the top maybe some pictures might help :smile:

it does sound like this diagnosis!

Sounds like you've damaged the clutch hydraulics somehow, I'm not sure if the clios are externally mounted slaves with a release fork or direct acting inside the bell housing. If it's the former then check to see if you haven't lodged something in the area of the fork which is restricting movement.

I would suggest a split pipe would give you a light and saggy pedal with no feel as the fluid has no resistance? and obviously there'd be a leak.

Thanks for the feedback. There's no leak from what I can see, all pipes etc look ok, i wasn't rough with it just rested it on some wires whilst I measured the samco hose. Wouldn't have thought it would have caused much damage. Will have to try and get it to a garage.

Def nothing crushing the slave cylinder pipe your diagnosis sounds like when a clutch hydraulic hose is clamped to stop fluid escaping ?

Sounds like you've damaged the clutch hydraulics somehow, I'm not sure if the clios are externally mounted slaves with a release fork or direct acting inside the bell housing. If it's the former then check to see if you haven't lodged something in the area of the fork which is restricting movement.

I would suggest a split pipe would give you a light and saggy pedal with no feel as the fluid has no resistance? and obviously there'd be a leak.

nothing external except for the hydraulic pipe...

Yup agree, only gear linkages and clutch pipe down there, defo sounds like a squished pipe if you can select gear but when you lift the clutch pedal nothing happens, sounds like slave cyls stuck out due to the fluid not being able to return due to the squished pipe, the clutch pedal will be stiff if your having to force fluid past the kink and the clutch fingers arnt strong enough to push the fluid back,

Got home, actually managed to drive it but still quite a stiff pedal, car started moving about halfway up the pedal travel which is nearer to where it normally is. Still felt a bit pants on changes as if clutch was sticking. Got some pictures, on the last one there is a hole with a damp ring as if something has come out. puhe4eva.jpgu5enadep.jpgu8avu8e9.jpg

Last edited:
That last pic is the gear change lever so not part of the clutch, when I get home I'll whip out my maxogen and post some pics of the clutch workings I think you've missed the slave cylinder altogether in your pics haha

Yeah think so, didn't even drop it really, just kind of rested it on all the pipework whilst I measured up. Took it on a spirited drive then and it's as good as new.