Car stalled and now won’t start

R20BTG

Paid Member
Earlier I started the car and drove it out of the garage. I left it idling for about 5 minutes and then it slowly came to a stall and died. Now it won’t start.

Key notes:

Battery was flat before I started it, I had to charge it up for a bit before it would crank.

Key turn switches on ignition, fuel pump primes, everything lights up as you’d expect. car cranks and turns over but doesn’t start.

I’ve disconnected battery, reconnected and tried again, no change.

No warming lights or messages on the dash.

Plenty of fresh fuel in the tank.

Coil pack on cylinder 4 (far left when standing at the front of the car) seems loose to wiggle with fingers. I took the bolt out, re-seated and tightened but it’s still loose. Coincidence?

What might cause the car to idle then stall? I’ve got a blowing flexi pipe, somehow linked?

Thoughts on a postcard please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unlikely to be the crank sensor if it’s died whilst idling but I’d take a look at it anyway.

Reactions: Foxspeed
usually to cause stalling it will be loss of something major....fuel pressure or crank signal....or timing belt failure

blowing exhaust or loose coil will only cause rough running/mis fires etc

Given that it’s plugged into AC power via battery conditioner and still won’t start (but will turn over) I suspect it’s not that?

My RS200 slowly stalled while ticking over in a car park and then would not start. It was the fuel pump and the car was only on 45k miles at the time. Had to drop the tank to install the new pump from RPD but then it fired right up.

Reactions: R20BTG
Funny you should say that, I have previously posted about fuel starvation/sputter on track days. Symptoms do point to no fuel. [emoji848]

No fuel at the rail when spinning over the engine diagnosed my fault. Completely dry. The RAC man whacked the tank a few times to try and kickstart the pump into life but it was dead.

Reactions: R20BTG
I’ve got a pump from an R3T rally car you can have if that’s your issue, brand new

Cheers can I dibs it and once diagnosed if that’s the issue I’ll buy it

Ta

So today was the first time I’ve had chance to look at fault finding. Reading [mention]PITA [/mention] suggestion on another thread I unclipped the quick fuel connection on the left hand side of the inlet manifold and put it in a container then cranked the car over. Plenty of fuel gushing out into the container as the car turned over so I think that rules out the fuel pump.

Next step is to investigate the TDC crank sensor. I believe there are two part numbers so I’m going to remove the one that’s there and make sure I order the right one from RPD. Is there any way of me somehow checking the performance of the sensor that I take out other than a visual inspection?

Check the loom connector at the other side its the loom for the injectors and coils you might have fuel but the injectors my not be firing or coils not doing there job. I have a cam and the gearbox sensor I would check the gearbox one for contamination or damage I'll look and see about testing but the gearbox one is magnetic so resistance test while moving the a spanner near the end should so a response. A faulty gearbox sensor can stall at idle
1672662377515.png
1672664539883.png

the gearbox one is magnetic so resistance test while moving the a spanner near the end should so a response. A faulty gearbox sensor can stall at idle
View attachment 152925
View attachment 152926

Thank you, first up was to test the resistance across the sensor once removed from the car. It was a bit fiddly to get alligator clips on the small terminals but I just about managed it.

First pic, without spanner near the end, second pic with a spanner magnetically attached to the end of the sensor.

e0f1c918bb0e0ccebbfb3f6fef088557.jpg

3331fa060a22cd504ac89ced799f1240.jpg

No change, which I’m hoping is a good sign (duff sensor)?

Thanks, reading that suggests just to test the sensor in isolation? If so then I think it’s pointing to a dead sensor? Going to order one tomorrow with a few other bits.

Cheers

New TDC sensor arrived from RPD today. I’ve popped it in and voila she fired up first time. Was indeed the culprit!

Thanks everyone for your help especially [mention]turkie172 [/mention] who’s diagrams and patience are invaluable [emoji1360]