Car Insurance

G

gemma.l

Just want to have a moan about car insurance.

Right I got my renewal through for my 197 today. I have been with Diamond for the last 3 years as they give really good rates to women drivers. Although this time it came out at £1300 that was including 2 additional drives a crash and a speed awareness course (Naughty Me) but these were 2 years ago and bearing in mind I am only 22. Considering I only paid an extra £200 on my policy when I got my car.

I then decided to do some online comparisons and found it for £766. Well chuffed with myself for getting this price.

I am going to get on with the other one about becoming a named driver on someone else’s policy. My fella has a Seat Leon Cupra TFSI we rang his insurance to add me on to this car as well turns out they want an extra £1500. Yes better then what they wanted when he had his Astra VXR but still. Even though his 32 and I am 22 should it really be that we have to pay that much just for me to be added on the policy when I can insure it myself for £750.

Has anyone else had these types of quotes of Insurances Company’s?

Wow Gemma a 197 at 22. I didn't buy a sports car til I was 32! No way was I paying through the nose for insurance. £766 is good though.

Yeh well got a good a job and house so making the most out of life lol. You only have one life it's worth living to the full. It's not really that bad when I was 18 I was paying £2000 for a 1.8 Ford Focus that was like 13 years old.

All insurance quotes tend to be ridiculous and make no sense when you're a young driver (in my experience).

I've never ever renewed my policy with the same company because their renewal price has been a joke. I fail to understand how they can justify increasing your premium by a couple ££ hundred when you haven't made a claim or received any points.....you'd think they'd want to keep you around since they made 100% profit out of you the previous year!

Just shop around, use comparison sites, phone around and find the cheapest.

See that is what I have done and got it nearly half the price.

The one that baffles me is the fella’s insurance company wanting £1500 for me to be a named driver on his policy.

Yup car insurance is a joke, if it makes you feel any better last year I was paying £2500 for a Clio sx 1.2, I have 8 points and cd10, thankfully these come off end of May now I'm on the hunt for a decent 200

Ouch Yeh I got away with points and got a speed awareness course. But I did write my Seat Leon off. Bloody Land Rovers hate them but can say I will be keeping away from their back ends as they do serious damage :worried:

How you manage the 8 points?

Haha I can imagine, probably better off hitting a brick wall... Just passed my test driving like an idiot, hit a car head on, cause £167,000 in insurance payout (not for me unfortunately lol) and then got given the cd10 with 8 points and my license taken away lol

Oh that is not good. I can see why your insurance was expensive.

This is the damage I did to my seat

20130902_202825.jpg

I have 8 points and cd10, thankfully these come off end of May now I'm on the hunt for a decent 200

Off your Licence? Or off your insurance? (Licence being 3/4 years, Insurance being 5 years)

I'd have given up and bought a push bike with those sort of figures for insurance (£2500!)

That is a steep £2500, I paid that 4 years ago glad it isn't that now.

I'm guessing that was a write off then?

they come off my license last May, so will be off my insurance 21st of this month, happy days...

Oh yes it was a write shame because it was an amazing car to me for the total of 6 months.

Yay that's good hopefully cheap insurance for you.

When I worked in insurance, companies would hike premiums or quote silly figures (like they have done to add you to your chap's policy) because they don't really want the business - they will see it as high risk and try to scare people off with the price. They will take it on, but they will make sure they get their money's worth!

There are always insurers out there though that will take on the business for a reasonable cost - but it will take some digging.

When I worked in insurance, companies would hike premiums or quote silly figures (like they have done to add you to your chap's policy) because they don't really want the business - they will see it as high risk and try to scare people off with the price. They will take it on, but they will make sure they get their money's worth!

There are always insurers out there though that will take on the business for a reasonable cost - but it will take some digging.

We have tried with multi-car policies but they seem to just not want me to drive the car even on the quotes section it says ring them so we do and it comes out to be loads.

Can you recommend any company's?

I think it's different for everyone, I remember once I spent days ringing every insurance company and broker I could find on the interenet looking for the cheapest quote, and I ended up with a broker just a couple hundred quid cheaper than comparison sites, I probably racked that up in phone bills anyway

I am with a broker this time but they only let you have certain cars. Some cars you have to be 35 to drive with their insurance.

I remember I wanted to upgrade to the fella's Golf GTI at the time and they said I needed to be 35 I was 19 at the time. That really annoyed me.

Haha. I've actually been with Hastings two years on the trot, unheard of!!! I still use comparison sites though, high street brokers have been extortionate in my experience. Bump up excess if you're careful, always helps. AND do we need all the bells and whistles? ! I aways add them and wished hadn't.

I was with Diamond for 2 years leaving them next month. 1st Central are not that bad been with them before only really good benefit I have now is only have a Voluntary excess yay.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have tried with multi-car policies but they seem to just not want me to drive the car even on the quotes section it says ring them so we do and it comes out to be loads.

Can you recommend any company's?

I am with a broker this time but they only let you have certain cars. Some cars you have to be 35 to drive with their insurance.

I remember I wanted to upgrade to the fella's Golf GTI at the time and they said I needed to be 35 I was 19 at the time. That really annoyed me.

I was going to suggest you try a broker, as they will be able to tailor the policy to you and also have access to a lot more underwriters/insurers than the comparison sites.

Unfortunately Gemma, it's your circumstances that are going against you - your age, cars you want to drive and the accident/speeding :smile: the last two are probably just bad luck and I'm sure you're a better driver than most, however insurance companies tend not to look much further than the facts! Hence the big prices.

A good broker will be able to have a good search round for you. Who are you with at the moment?

Similar Thread Suggestions