Can't locate knocking noise after £1000 being spent on her

That looks really worn at the back and has the rubber split too at the front, did you say you'd had that shock replaced too?

Yeah i had the shock replaced you would think that this would have stuck out I'm going back to see the garage tomorrow morning to see were I stand on this hopping there not gonna try and charge me for this. When I rang the garage they said it would be a strip down again 2 hours what should of happened is the garage should have spotted this when removing the shock and I wouldn't have had a problem paying for the part but hey at least I know my hubs all good lol

Last edited:
Yeah i had the shock replaced you would think that this would have stuck out I'm going back to see the garage tomorrow morning to see were I stand on this hopping there not gonna try and charge me for this. When I rang the garage they said it would be a strip down again 2 hours what should of happened is the garage should have spotted this when removing the shock and I wouldn't have had a problem paying for the part but hey at least I know my hubs all good lol
Well after all that it was the top mount!they should of spotted that though when the shock was replaced.
Is it easy to change too mounts then or better to get it done at a garage? Any part numbers?
I would get a garage to do it be a cock on doing it on your drive on your own well thats what i did anyway.Try BRIAN LEIGHTON a trader on here for the top mounts might do you a good deal,I replaced both just to be on the safe side.

Yeah it was making a knocking noise when going over bumps that's what it went in for, then went for a second opinion from Mark Fish after all the money spent on her plus my garage couldn't find the prob he took the scuttle panel of got his guy to drive it over the bumps while walking next to car and saw that the top of the mount was sitting higher and moving around so had failed. I've just been back to the garage today to sort out they said they never saw it because it was of the ground not under load when put back together even thou I asked if it could be the top mounts they were sure it wasn't so wouldn't check them even tried to go the route of saying it was my idea to change the hubs after me speaking to other garages plus because I was waiting it put them under pressure ( what that really means is the job couldn't be hung out ) Funny thing is when I had my spring done it took 2 hours to do all the springs which included taking the front shocks out on this job it was billed 2 hours per shock .Well bottom line is it's being dropped of thurs I'm paying the part not the labour so there's no argument plus no point in getting there back up I put my side across well while biting my lip so it's getting sorted just have to treat it as an oversight mistakes happen and the garage has a good rep plus to be fair they did looked after me while I was waiting did my aircon refitted my exhaust for free while supplying me with cups of tea lol

only trouble with the 197/200 is that the suspension is so hard and I think a lot of the damping shocks get transmitted in to the top damper mount....hence why
Renault modified the newer 200s to the smaller/modified/stronger strut top....

only trouble with the 197/200 is that the suspension is so hard and I think a lot of the damping shocks get transmitted in to the top damper mount....hence why
Renault modified the newer 200s to the smaller/modified/stronger strut top....

Yeah that sounds like why they changed think the old struts were 9mm smaller at the top and a fair few have had the knocking on there 197-200 down to this when putting KW's on to.

Cant see a lot wrong with that top mount pic to be honest so visually it would have been difficult for them to identify an issue, it looks exactly the same as mine (and they have been off a few times!).

Glad you have sorted it though mate couple of washers sometimes does the trip as well underneath the nut.

I think my passenger side top mount is on it's way out on my mk3, recently fitted weitec gt's and starting to hear a little knock when going over little bumps. Is it worth changing both sides or just replace the knocking side??