Caliper pins - my view.

Muddi Camel

Gold Member
Ok. So I've only had my 197 for a couple of months and obviously, just before I bought it, front and rear pads & discs had been replaced. Great news I thought.

Having done a little research, I knew that the front caliper pins can seize causing a nightmare pad change. I thought I'd preempt any future problems & replace them with some of Mr Pinks finest stainless. (there goes some more thinking).

As the brakes have been recently fettled, I thought the pins would slide out nicely. (Again, this thinking thing - maybe I should give up with that).

No chance. Not a hope in hell. After cutting the pins to get the pads out, much careful drilling & persuading with a parallel punch, finally got them out - hours later.
- not amused.

Whoever designed them & whoever then signed off on the design should be shot. Twice. And Their families charged for the bullets.

/rant over.

They've only been there for a couple of months. Some coppaslip when fitted might have helped - but I'm sticking with the poor design.

Lack of maintenance is the issue, not the design.

I disagree it is a flawed design, if you look not many calipers use this type of design pin because of this very reason.
I went for Pinks Pins as they are what my 200sx, my 740iL and many other cars had as a design from factory and it worked flawlessly.

I never had any issues with the standard pins. Once a year I'd take them out, using vice grips on the centre of them to loosen them off then they'd just slide out. Bit of copper grease on the new ones and that was me for another year. Probably could have even used the old pins again but for the sake of £10 I just fitted new ones.
I dont understand how so many people can have issues with them, unless they're leaving them for years or maybe driving along the bottom of a river for their daily commute.

Reactions: RSRowe
How many you do makes a big difference, I do 75miles a day, some of you lot I think don't do that in a week lol.
Also I never had them stuck, I also put on copper grease and they would come out with some persuasion, but that doesn't take away from the fact it was a bad design.
It's a preventative maintenance to buy Mr Pink Pins, we know about this as our Clios have enough of them :wink:

Had to cut mine out in the past, I use a good punch with the end centre drilled now. Helps centre on the pins and save the paint work.

I never had any issues with the standard pins. Once a year I'd take them out, using vice grips on the centre of them to loosen them off then they'd just slide out. Bit of copper grease on the new ones and that was me for another year. Probably could have even used the old pins again but for the sake of £10 I just fitted new ones.
I dont understand how so many people can have issues with them, unless they're leaving them for years or maybe driving along the bottom of a river for their daily commute.

same here and i have changed/remove a lot over the years...never had to cut any out...i find the first smack with a "proper" hammer is the secret

Mr pinks pins are really good in my experience. Never had to fret over removing them. Little clean up and a bit of brake grease and put them back in. Minutes. Admittedly they do come out 3/4 times a year

Reactions: suj
Never had any issues with my OEM pins. As said service the brakes as per miles you do. It’s up there on the do list with scuttle panel drain plugs.

Aluminium and steel tightly together in a place that collects salty water and even some heat is the flawed design

You can stop the corrosion with regular greasing and maintenance or you can replace them with better designed pins

When I bought my 200 2 of the first things I did was changed the pins for Mr Pink Pins and use ceratec grease instead of copper slip and also powerflex engine and gearbox mount bushes.

Didn't touch the pads for about 10-11 months before changing to PBS pads and the pins came out easily. Made sure to give the calipers a proper clean whilst doing this.