Bye bye Renault....

So it came to 5 years old with 80k on the clock and it was time to get rid of the 197. Had a fantastic 5 years of ownership and although had plenty of warranty work and had to spend a fair few pennies on the car I would definately have another...maybe one day as a second car.

So apart from the wheels being matt black as well as the wing mirrors this is how she looked when she went...
06042010120.jpg

So what next?? I wanted a hot hatch but something a little more grown up, with a few toys and something that is a little more refined and better for long distance cruising. Looked at so much and finally after seeing a mate I took a Golf GTi for a test drive and my word was I impressed.

So a week later and here she is

IMG_0568.jpg
IMG_0570.jpg

09 Plate with 29k on the clock, touch screen sat nav/ upgraded stereo, zenons, adaptive chassis control, parking sensors front and rear, heated seats and 18's. Only driven about 100 miles in it so far but its a whole new level over the clio, quicker in a straight line, just as good handling through the twisties...the only downside is that it misses the Brembo's!!

Soon to come is a few things like some wind deflectors, mud flaps to stop stone chips and then maybe remap/ panel filter/ exhaust and FMIC.

Take care guys, thanks for all the advice and been a pleasure meeting some of you.

Mike

You can't have pushed the Clio very hard if you think the Golf handles as well. They are good but not as sharp/composed on the limit.

Nice car though and not a bad choice by any means, the torque makes for an easy drive.

You can't have pushed the Clio very hard if you think the Golf handles as well. They are good but not as sharp/composed on the limit.

Nice car though and not a bad choice by any means, the torque makes for an easy drive.

Ive never had the Clio on a track so im only going based on a small bit of a road I have driven hard in both cars. The golf seem more composed in the corners although im sure that over a lap of a track the clio would be ahead as I know its better at handling the power.

you'll love the golf, comfortable drive and still rapid when required. Big power can be achieved with not alot of cash also.

Good luck finding a new forum as good as this one, I tried and failed hence still posting on here. Vag scene (Vag like vagina or Vag like Bag??) appear to be err ... knobs.

Talking about tyre stretch and how low the cars can go .. pah!

you'll love the golf, comfortable drive and still rapid when required. Big power can be achieved with not alot of cash also.

Good luck finding a new forum as good as this one, I tried and failed hence still posting on here. Vag scene (Vag like vagina or Vag like Bag??) appear to be err ... knobs.

Talking about tyre stretch and how low the cars can go .. pah!

GTi forum seems to be okay to be fair, well so far.

what site did you register on? Maybe im just struggling because i went for the GTD? More niche ... cant find a quality dedicated site like on here. Probably just be me an 2 other guys comparing mpg whilst wearing cricket jumpers.

I've been thinking about one of these for the next car. I test drove the mk5 before buying the clio and came away thinking it was a bit boring and they definitely don't handle as well BUT I've heard that with a few tweaks they can be great fun to drive

Similar Thread Suggestions