Buy a Clio 197 and know all about its history first! !

So this is a really hard post for me to do because I know all you guys will maybe criticise the purchase I made and my lack of knowledge etc but here goes :

I bought my car in February as a 40th present to myself. I noticed the exhaust blowing about 4 weeks in and endless garages failing to have a ramp available it was a further 3 weeks before I found Rsc and they told me it needed a manifold replacement. I then contacted the dealer and after a battle with emails calls and a letter, they agreed to pay for it. The money still hasn't arrived 3 weeks later.
I thought I did my homework before buying and dealing with an arse of a dealer I totally forgot about the cambelt query, told the car had its history and a service and an mot felt happy to put down the deposit. The car has service history but hardly any receipts. I was misled on that part. Anyway the cambelt kit was done last week. I've now spent £1000, two tyres on top of that.
This wkend the car failed to start on numerous occasions and more than once at one time. I rang Rsc who asked me to bring it back. They diagnosed it and found two sensors need replacing so it's there now and im waiting to get it back as they're sat under the engine bay and the engine being hot I had to leave it with them.
All in all, what should have been a car I loved, is now giving me anxiety and on top of that I haven't yet managed to recoup money from the dealer for the manifold yet. I'm in a position now where I'm wondering wether to sell and get a run around. This has been the most stressful 3 months I've had in a long time.
Moral of the story, do your homework, take someone in the know, if you're a woman don't go alone, possibly get the car checked over for £40 and save future headaches. Check for sure the cambelt kit is done. Any doubts (as I did ), walk away (as I didn't ). These cars are money pits. Would I buy another, probably not. Personal experience.

Oh so there may be a Clio cup 197 for sale soon!!!

Last edited:
Thankyou, I'll do that next. I can't see them helping as I've just been informed they are serviceable items and not anomalies.

Last edited:
You're naive, you had no idea when you joined this forum practically thinking an mani was a steering wheel. You win and you lose. I think you found a dud, babe.

I think the same can be said for any car, know what you're in for.

Tyres and the starting issue I don't think can be blamed on the dealers, and the manifold issue should probably have been picked up on a test drive/before purchase but the Cambelt is a real sting.

Sounds like the dealer is (eventually) picking up some of the cost though? And once those bits are sorted you should be good to go? Many 197's are approaching 9 years old now, they're going to need some TLC and mechanical bits doing to keep them going, even more so ones that have had a hard life.

Deaks? A mani a steering wheel? Lost me there. Once this has all been done yeah I've covered some major issues. Just left me a bit traumatised haha. The exhaust was not an obvious one at all and you couldn't see the problem either and only up on the ramp through a gap could you see the culprit.
Agree, I've bought a bad one but now I'd say it's probably a decent one. Just wish my pocket wasn't so light now!
AND yes there's naive and there's uninformed, misled. I may not know a massive amount about these cars but I've been learning a lot. Each time my car is in a garage I'm under it and im asking questions. Go easy on me haha

Last edited:
Don't invest all this money then end up selling it, whats the damn point? It just needs some loving. Once things are sorted it'll probably run you around perfectly fine. It's not like the engine has dropped out the bottom of the car and has said bye bye! Pro tip though, have a mechanical friend who you know is top notch and reliable so they can do cheap jobs for you. Getting dealers to do things can often be extremely expensive. The cambelt thing is ****ty though, I have mine to do next year...

Cant see you getting anything from RUK. The cambelt is a serviceable item so no way would you get anything from that, as to the manifold, cant say ive heard anyone getting anything from them, and they are a fairly common thing to go...

I dont think youd be saying it was a dud if this hadnt of come all at once. But it has, and unfortunately selling it is a little pointless after youve forked out for it. Now you know that its sorted and is not going to need doing anytime time. I had the same thing, my manifold went, a month later I had to do the cambelt and discs and pads at the same time. It actually cost me not much money after that and was a great reliable car...