Brakes

danrst

Paid Member
I've just picked up my Clio 200 and the breaks seem quite poor, I can get my foot hard down and get the ABS to kick in but it doesn't seem to have any urgency to stop. I've read that the brakes are prone to seizing but the garage have replaced the pads so if they were seized would they not have fixed this by replacing the pads? How much would a garage charge generally to look at the brakes?

How do you know mate. If they MOT'd it they may have just signed it off. That's what happened with mine. They gave it a 'full MOT' which meant nothing as one of the number plate light housings was shagged and needed replacing.

I'd have a check yourself but sounds like it needs a good brake service

Sounds like your brakes could do with a strip and clean (and a proper check over). Also could be bad fluid and nothing to do with the pads. Fluid is cheap(ish) and changing it will take no time at all to someone who knows what they're doing.

The place I bought mine for said my brakes were fine.

6 hours later going down a dual carriageway I had my foot flat on the floor with no brakes.

Get them out and check for yourself if you know how to. Post some pictures on here also and we'll have a look.

Ill get it to a garage and ask them to give the brakes a once over. Do you know how much a strip and clean would be roughly?

about 1hrs charge, maybe 1.5hrs if they're taking their time. It can depend on how stuck things are. For example removing front brake pins can be a real b*tch and could cost you 30-60mins + a new set of pins if they bend/have to be cut out.

If you join the forum as a paid member you can look through the technical and How To sections and you'll see for yourself. The guides are very helpful.

Thats what the garage said when i bought be 197, upon checking the brakes, the pins had obviously never been changed and where stuck solid and the pad had been seized for so long it had snapped in half from bending. If you have a bit of mechanical know how it wont be too difficult to strip them yourself.

It takes me 2 hours to do both a front and rear pad change.

Simple if you have the right gear and as above there is a guide on what to do if you are a paid member.

It will cost you from £5 for the year but a garage will charge you at least £50 for a front strip down.

It takes me 2 hours to do both a front and rear pad change.

Simple if you have the right gear and as above there is a guide on what to do if you are a paid member.

It will cost you from £5 for the year but a garage will charge you at least £50 for a front strip down.

and a garage wont give a **** about the paint on the brembos...

There is that lol but some do.

Not hard to put some tape round the pins to protect them tho

Perhaps some as just thick as...

I'm planing to do mine in the next few weeks as I feel the same as you, just think they could be better.

I'm doing it myself as it is pretty straight forward job, tempted to buy the better pins just incase I have a problem with one or more of them though.

I'm planing to do mine in the next few weeks as I feel the same as you, just think they could be better.

I'm doing it myself as it is pretty straight forward job, tempted to buy the better pins just incase I have a problem with one or more of them though.

Buy the pins - I'd almost guarantee you'll have issues!

But for £40 it's worth it to know that you should never have issues with them again. Also you wouldn't want to be in the position of having problems with the pins and not having spares.